Last night was a bummer, as the Islanders were 14 seconds away from a regulation win — after holding a 2-0 third-period lead — and instead were tied on a late howler for Jaroslav Halak and lost in overtime to a goal by that Malgin guy.
No, not the Malkin guy but the Malgin guy. Which somehow hurts worse.
- Recaps of the action from various mourners and celebrants: [LHH | Newsday "it’s like a bad dream" | Isles | Panthers | Litter Box Cats]
- UPDATE: Sounds like Dennis Seidenberg will be out a while after taking a puck to the face. Scott Mayfield, come on down. [@StapeNewsday]
- The Panthers say they learned from — and got hair on the chest — last spring’s playoff loss, but Gerard Gallant cheekily and reasonably says he’d happily play that series again and bet on a different result. [Newsday]
- Since they won’t start talking about it in Toronto, Staple explores the angles of Tavares and free agency. [Newsday]
- The Isles owner chats and takes a photo with some of the all-time greats, including Bill Torrey. [@91Butch]
- ICYMI, some more: You had me at "Swedish metal band." Soilwork will join the Isles for Military Appreciation Day on Monday. Lead singer knows Kulemin, man. [Billboard]
- Video with the fans who won the trip to Tampa. [@nyislanders]
- Chico Resch says incoming Hall of Famer Rogie Vashon is the man. (Great tale, but worth a click for the picture alone. And they wonder how goal scoring has gone down since the days they put high school chemistry teachers in the nets.) [NHL]
How cool is my job? Butch and Denis Potvin having a chat and Bill Torrey just stops by. pic.twitter.com/FLrXVsTMmb— Brendan Burke (@brendanmburke) November 12, 2016
Capuano and Tavares trying to keep things positive in postgame comments. Halak took full blame for tying goal. "It shouldn't go in." #Isles— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) November 13, 2016
By Bossy, someone’s got to.
Not Exactly Islanders Readings...or Are They?
- Worth trotting out again: I mean last night was a brutal ending but I guess at least it wasn’t...the Jets? (Not the football ones.) Scoring on yourself in OT is bad. [NHL]
- Before all that the Panthers claimed Seth Griffith off waivers from the Maple Leafs, who’d previously claimed him from the Bruins. (No chance the Isles make that claim...they have three goalies.) [LBC | PPP]
- "Michael Grabner's team-leading eighth goal gave the Rangers..." don't need to finish that sentence. [TSN]
- Eric Lindros says Paul Holmgrem tried to talk him into coming out of retirement after seeing him play in an alumni stadium game and Holmgrem says, "yeah, that happened." [ESPN]