The New York Islanders are coming off back-to-back home wins (we know, it’s just preseason) and will try to make it three in three days (because that can happen...it's preseason) tonight in Newark.
- Cal Clutterbuck scored twice, Josh Bailey scored the winner on a combo with newcomers Jason Chimera and Dennis Seidenberg (and earlier, did the Frans Nielsen power play zone-entry role on his setup of Clutterbuck) as the Isles prevailed 3-2 in overtime. [LHH | Isles | Blueshirt Banter]
- Last night was Brendan Burke’s debut as the TV play-by-play replacement for Howie Rose. What’d you think? I liked him. Pretty steady, almost classic voice. Good interplay with Butch Goring. Promising so far.
- Here’s a good photo gallery from last night’s game. [Isles]
- Not playing last night but amped up to get going: John Tavares. [Newsday]
- NHL.com previews the season and answers why (or why not) the Islanders would be a success.
- "It's never come easy." Inside Jon Landry's journey and return to the Sound Tigers, on a PTO. [CT Post]
- More notes from Bridgeport camp. [Soundin' Off]
- And on former Quinnipiac goalie in Sound Tigers camp. [CT Post]
- Yesterday we introduced another new LHH writer, so please welcome Jenny! [LHH]
Here's the Bailey winner:
Bails coming up clutch with the OT winner! #Isles pic.twitter.com/H78W4J77da— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) October 5, 2016
Here's Bridgeport defenseman Pat Cullity talking about the season:
Thoughts From Camp: Hear from d-man Pat Cullity who returns to Bridgeport for his 2nd season w/ the #SoundTigers. pic.twitter.com/2xU31Q0daG— The Sound Tigers (@TheSoundTigers) October 4, 2016
- Kyle Okposo is on this list — and so is Andrew Ladd’s linemate from Winnipeg — but perhaps the most fascinating part of this well-reasoned Top 20 Right Wings ranking is that Jaromir Jagr is still there, at #10. [Sportsnet]
- The NWHL is developing concussion procedures with NYU. [Today's Slap Shot]
- Joe Thornton is keeping his deep woods beard, so if he ever scores four goals it's going to be a whole canvas of that which you can't un-see. [Fear The Fin]
- The Arizona Coyotes actually have, like, salary cap concerns. Guess that happens when you load up on Pavel Datsyuk and Chris Pronger and such. [Yahoo]
- The season's yet to begin, so...it's already time to argue about draft prospects! The NHL has 29 "players to watch." Some fantastic Finnish names on there, but alas no Big Swed Forsb. (Really old LHH joke, that) [TSN]