No game today, but tomorrow night’s opponent - your defending Western Conference champion San Jose Sharks - are at MSG tonight. Hope they leave it real tired and with two points in their gills.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | NY Post | NY Daily News | Islanders | NHL.com | NYI Skinny
- Casey Cizikas left the game after a leg injury and his status is up-in-the-air right now. [Newsday]
- And Shane Prince was put on IR yesterday morning, despite playing in the team's first two games. No call-ups just yet. [IPB]
- But hey, WWE star Daniel Bryan had a helluva time at the game, his first ever live pro hockey experience. [LHH | NHL.com]
- Gotta be honest: no offense to old pro Mark Herrmann, but this is some passive-aggressive bullshit right here. Maybe that's too harsh for a season opener column, but at some point we really do need to move on from the Islanders moving stories, right? Yes, the team is at home in Barclays Center. That doesn't need to be interpreted as as a slap in the face of Long Islanders.
- And yes, I understand that me writing that here is also some passive-aggressive bullshit. I get irony.
- In an NHL media roundtable with Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch, talking heads and reporters list their best and worsts of the hockey beat and Sportsnet's John Shannon calls John Tavares the best interview in the game. No, really.
- The Sound Tigers lost their first game, 2-1 to Springfield on Sunday and were doomed by a bad second period. [Recap | Post-Game]
- Russian Machine asks what's wrong with the Capitals power play? I'd like to say it was the Islanders' penalty kill, but it might be something else.
- The Blue Jackets want to dump Gritty McGritterson Gregory Campbell, but after not finding a trade partner and putting him on waivers, he's refused to report to the AHL. [Dispatch]
- After 12 great years covering the Lightning at Raw Charge, friend of LHH John Fontana is (at least partially) hanging up his skates. The new boss lady is another friend and occasional commenter Achariya, who will no doubt continue their wall-to-wall Tampa coverage. Congrats to everyone and good luck.
Always nice seeing these old bastards* around.
(*-"Bastards" in this case obviously meant in the most endearing, loving way possible)