Everything you thought you knew about the New York Islanders’ roster plans was thrown into disarray with the news that projected first-liner, John Tavares friend, and returning Islander P.A. Parenteau was placed on waivers.
Then over year you’ve got Eric Boulton.
- So yeah, Parenteau was placed on waivers. We’ll know around noon today where he’s headed. That’s part of maneuvering to finalize the 23-man roster today at 5 p.m. [Newsday | LHH]
- Nice timing, then, for Dan and Leboff to record another Islanders Anxiety, featuring Arthur Staple of Newsday, who broke the Parenteau news -- admittedly caught off guard despite being forced to watch all of preseason. Also talked Burnside, media, predictions and locker room insight. And Leboff's tattoo. [LHH podcast]
- (Not a separate link, just have to quote this Staple line, on Halak: "If I've learned anything it's that players who are not healthy or not playing are surly, and players who are healthy and playing well are not surly."
- And, so, if this is clearing room for Anthony Beauvillier and/or Matthew Barzal and (later?) Joshua Ho-Sang, then...Youth Movement! Is it crazy good or crazy bad or just a little bit of Boulton? [LHH]
- The Sound Tigers final roster decisions depend on what dominoes fall up with the big club. [Soundin' Off]
- Keep an eye on one of the Quinnipiac boys, Travis St. Denis. [CT Post]
- Prospect news: Kieffer Bellows is watching the Isles but is focused on getting it going with a deep Boston U. lineup. [Trentonian]
- Parker Wotherspoon leads the Americans. [Daily Progress] Mitchell Vande Sompel notched two for Oshawa. [Durham Region]
- This 10-year-old's season preview is better than yours. [Carter Hud]
- Khan predicts the Isles season, which happened hundreds of years ago. [LHH fanpost]
In Other Dramas...
- Meanwhile, in Smurftown, is Dylan McIlrath turning up Reinhart? [Post | Daily News]
- Big news: Sidney Crosby was diagnosed with a concussion, which the team says happened from practice. [PensBurgh]
- The Red Wings put Teemu Pulkkinen on waivers, causing Parenteau-level debate among the Wings twitters. [WIIM]
- As expected, Johnny [not hockey] Gaudreau signed before camp ended. Six years, $40.5 million. [TSN]
- Elliotte Friedman in 30 Thoughts dishes on goalie equipment changes, with the revelation (to me) that now-defunct Sports Authority sold a lot of hockey equipment. (Really? Mine didn't. All running shoes and dri-fit clothing) [Sportsnet]
- At long last, the NHL has bothered ot suspend Radko Gudas. Six games! Enough was enough, apparently. [BSH]
- Former Broad Street Hockey writer Eric Tulsky is at the forefront of analytics in his full-time gig with the Hurricanes. Seriously good forward. [News & Observer]
- The Devils, they have 21 theme nights. By golly Lou would never have stood for this. [All About the Jersey]
- Dan Boyle (and Bobby Orr) says bring back the red line. [TSN]