Well that was painful. And the good/bad news is that the Islanders get right back at it today at 5 pm. Let's hope the Stars got stuck in a lot of traffic coming to Brooklyn from New Jersey last night.
FIG picks go here. Get them in before 5 pm.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday, in which Calvin deHaan learns about score effects | Islanders | NHL.com | NYI Skinny | Stats-y Pensburgh
- Travis Hamonic is still an Islander and his allegiances haven't changed one bit. And with Johnny Boychuk out, don't hold your breath for that trade. [Newsday]
- John Tavares could be coming out of, what for him is, a slump. [TSS]
- Another shutout for Linus Soderstrom puts Sweden in the semifinals at the World Junior Championship against Finland. [LHH]
- The Sound Tigers won in overtime over Rochester and former mate Matt Donovan. [CT Post recap | BST recap | Post-Game | Donovan remembers]
- The Panthers have gone wild, and have won eight straight [LBC]. Earlier, they rewards coach Gerrard Gallant with a contract extension. [NHL.com]
- Florida shut out the Rangers 3-0 last night, and things have been "off" for New York's Marc Staal all season. [NY Post]
- The John Scott All Star campaign was a success, and the Coyotes tough guy was named one of the four team captains [SBN]. Expect lots of people to be mad online about it. He says he's going. [Puck Daddy]
- Anaheim defenseman Cam Fowler will miss a month and a half with a sprained knee. [Puck Daddy]
- 2015 was a year that made Second City Hockey editor Satchel Price reevaluate his hockey fandom.
- Jarome Iginla is on the verge of 600 goals, so here are 600 awesome things about an awesome player. [The Canafornians]
- Pro Tip: please don't bring crossbows, scimitars or any other weaponry to a Winter Classic game. The police don't like it. [NY Daily News]
Today might be a good time to check out a Riveters game. Not only is it Star Wars night, but if you buy tickets to the rest of the season, you'll get tickets to the Islanders January 12th game against Columbus, too. Good deal.