Game time for the Islanders-Flyers game is, as of now, still on for 7:30 tonight. But keep your eyes and ears open to see if the game is postponed. If it is, we'll have an update. FIG picks can be registered here.
Update: Stay the hell home:
#isles game tonight vs. Flyers has been postponed. No makeup date set as of yet.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 23, 2016
And for those asking, yes the team landed safely in the early am. #isles— Shannon Hogan (@Shannon_Hogan) January 23, 2016
But for now, there's plenty to read while you're stuck inside or avoiding shoveling.
- Recaps of a nice ROW: LHH | Newsday | Islanders | NHL.com | NYI Skinny | Silver Seven
- Carp Lad Calvin de Haan explains just what the hell a Carp Lad is. Spoiler: It him. [Islanders]
- Johnny Boychuk put his snow shovel where his mouth is. [LHH]
- After months in dire, undiagnosed pain, Kenny Jonsson finally knows what he has: Crohn's Disease. Best of luck to him. [LHH]
- Pat LaFontaine was at the Brooklyn Historical Society this week and talked about Barclays Center, his last special night at Nassau Coliseum and still being cursed at by Capitals coaches. [Newsday]
- Update!: The Sound Tigers' game against Hartford tonight has been postponed as well. Their game in Hershey tomorrow remains up in the air. [Soundin' Off] | A previous blog entry includes notes about that rare power play goal in their last game. [Soundin' Off]
- Remembering Travis Hamonic's time in Bridgeport. [BST]
- The Sound Tigers future in Connecticut might be tied to their longtime rival's future in Hartford. [Journal Inquirer]
- Another goal and assist for Michael Dal Colle in Kingston's 6-1 win over Saginaw. [Whig]
- The Islanders are making time and room to honor local Startup companies. [Adweek]
- Who's up and who's down in the possession game this season. [TSN.ca]
- Jim Nill talks GM'ing and stuff on SiriusXM. [SoundCloud]
- John Tortorella breaks two ribs in practice, proving that even when you think your team can't sustain any more injuries, they can. [Dispatch]
- The Maple Leafs players try to identify one of their own in a crude drawing. Toronto needs better police sketch artists. [PPP]
- Jaromir Jagr's secret to eternal youth is hard work in practice and not, surprisingly, a hidden series of Lazarus Pits. [$un $entinel]
- Down Goes Brown's mailbag includes video of the '83 All Star Game from Nassau Coliseum.
- Former wrestler/budding UFCer CM Punk trains with the Devils. [NHL.com]
- RIP to former Blues first rounder Rik Wilson. [NHL.com]
- The lasting legacy of the Hartford Whalers logo, which will outlive us all even as the team sadly is no more. [UniWatch]
- Not hockey: Happy Cespedes Day to all Mets fans and fans of fun baseball [Amazin' Avenue]. But sad news about the postponement of this year's FrancesaCon, a Mike Leboff production. New dates and information are, we hope, forthcoming.
Must Watch: DC news crew interviews area man about snow storm, area man turns out to be Alex Ovechkin. [SBN]