The NHL's trade deadline is February 29th (yep), but a bunch of teams are working hard to get deals done before the rush. One of them might not have been totally on the up-and-up.
- Jack Capuano will serve as an assistant coach for Team USA at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey tournament happening next September. Congrats to Cappy and Cranston natives everywhere. [LHH]
- Adam Pelech is turning heads (and, occasionally, getting his face cut). BTW: He was retroactively awarded an assist on Kyle Okposo's empty net goal on Thursday, giving him his first two NHL points. [Newsday]
- That win was a tension breaker, but the Islanders still have a lot of work to do. [Insight]
- If you really, really feel like reading about the battle of wits between Cal Clutterbuck and witless Tanner Glass, be my guest. [NJ.com]
- Eyes on Isles looks at the Islanders prospects and Corey Pronman's recent rankings.
- Michael Dal Colle scored again as Kingston obliterated Flint. [Whig-Standard]. Related: Dal Colle's Frontenacs and Josh Ho-Sang's Ice Dogs seem to be on a collision course. [Whig]
- Minnesota beat Michigan State 5-2 last night, and Islanders pick Jake Bischoff scored his fourth goal of the season. [SBN CH]. He gets the hard hat and talks about the win here.
- Linus Soderstrom remains a good egg and is raising money for children's cancer research. [LHH]
- Speaking of good eggs, Matt Carkner is still helping folks from his Ottawa days while plugging away in the AHL. [Silver Seven]
- Meet and get an autograph from Johnny Boychuk at the Northwell Health Ice Center on January 21st. [Islanders]
- See Hall of Famer Pat LaFontaine talk live with Stan Fischler and the Times' Allan Kreda on January 20th at the Brooklyn Historical Society.
- You may have seen this earlier this week, but a fund in memory of a little Islanders fan can use your help. [Maya's Rainbow]
What in the wide, wide world of sports is a'going on here?
Remember when John Scott was voted into the All Star game, first as anarchy, then as a commentary on the fleeting, silly nature of the exhibition game? Remember how he was genuinely excited to skate with the best for once? Well forget it, because he's been traded to the Canadiens and sent to the AHL and he probably ain't coming back. And, according to reports, the Coyotes and the NHL basically conspired to make this happen. Not a good look. [Sporting News]
But beyond the All Star fiasco, the Habs just traded once highly-touted draft pick Jarred Tinordi for AHL vet Victor Bartley and John Friggin Scott. Ouch. [EOTP comes to grips | Willis on how not to develop a prospect | Dom on Tinordi and the "Matt Donovan Treatment."]
- Jaromir Jagr will outlive us all. [Sportsnet]
- AHL updated on Scott Gomez (Hershey), Raffi Torres (San Jose) and Chris Higgins (Utica) from Michael Fornabaio.
- Checking on Louis Leblanc who's hanging on by a thread in the KHL on Lubomir Visnovsky's Slovan team. [Montreal Gazette]
- On the excellent Hockey PDOCast, Dmitri and Travis rank all 30 NHL broadcasts and the have the Islanders surprisingly high. (I mean, I like Howie and Butch, but I'm never sure non-Islanders fans do).
- WhalerMania! Coming to Broadway soon (I hope)! [Puck Daddy]
- Eddie Lack's dad is as funny and goofy as Eddie is and dropped a naughty word on the tv. [Sporting News]
Sorry, John Scott. But you won't get to wear this in Nashville:
Hot streakin' Brock Nelson talks to NHL Live after the win on Thursday.