August is a dead time for hockey news. Yeah. Bull shit.
- Last night, word came down from the Long Island Railroad that trains will be added to get folks to and from Barclays Center a little easier. [LHH]
- You can vote for your favorite Islanders game of the year and see the top five winners on NHL Network this Saturday. [LHH]
- No, seriously, guys. Joshua Ho-Sang isn't the crazed egomaniac that stories like this want to make you think he is. Jesus Christ, can someone find a new angle already? [TSN.ca]
- Newsday catches up with former Islander Claude Lapointe, who fondly remembers his time on Long Island.
- Not only are the Islanders' days at the Coliseum over, but the days of the barn being Gloriously Unsponsored could be over by the end of the month. [IPB]
- The Nets fans of NetsDaily know what it's like when the Barclays folks get their hooks into a team.
- World Junior hopeful Michael Dal Colle remembers the feeling of being cut from Team Canada's camp last year and doesn't plan to relive it. [NHL.com]
- Hey, this is cool: Mathew Barzal will throw out the first pitch at the Mariners-Orioles game on August 12th as part of a celebration of the Seattle Thunderbirds. Just, be careful, young man. [Kent Reporter]
- The Sound Tigers and the people of Bridgeport collected a ton (literally) of food to distribute to the Veterans Affairs Center. [BST]
- The Missouri Mavericks have announced their preseason schedule. [Mavs]
- Newsday posts a quiz of Nassau Coliseum trivia that's just flat out embarrassing. Not because of the questions but the non-interactivity. Guys, it's 2015. There are websites that will make quizzes for you. Then you copy and paste the embed code into your post. Please fire the summer intern that wrote this quiz.
Bunch of other stuff
- The NHL will partner with MLB Advance Media for web streaming, apps and website operations, with an announcement to be made today. There are things to be hopeful and fearful of. Broad Street Hockey looks at the many changes that could be coming.
- Former Islander and native New Yorker Mathieu Schneider will be inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame this year along with Angela Ruggiero, Ron DeGregorio and Little League superstar Chris Drury. [Windsor Star | USA Hockey]
- Blueshirt Banter examines the offseasons of all the Metro Division teams. They also called us "Goofy and Wonderful." So I'll call them "Incredibly Intelligent and Insightful if you, like, wanna read about the Rangers for some reason."
- Also, apparently their Tanner Glass is our Brian Strait. Hm. Bizarro Worlds and all that.
- The Kings would be wise to tap into the Chinese market the way the Islanders have started to. [JFTC]
- Remember the 90's? Then the Red Wings-Avalanche alumni game before their Stadium Series game is for you. [WIIM]
- War-On-Ice is making their data available to any budding stats hound that wants them.
- The NHL16 beta has a few bugs to work out before the game's release. [The Province]