- Well, that was unexpected. Looks like the Islanders and defenseman Marek Zidlicky have been communicating for a while on a possible contract. There's a lot to like in his game, but he's no spring Zidchicken. [LHH]
- Garth Snow loves his cap space and he's used it pretty effectively over the years. [The Hockey Writers]
- Stephon Williams (no. 14) and Ilya Sorokin (no. 27) make In Goal Magazine's list of Top 50 goaltending prospects. (Also, Linus Soderstrom gets an honorable mention).
- Speaking of magazines, Billboard and Barclays Center have partnered on a special fancy lounge in the arena for your enjoyment. [Billboard.com]
A little more
- Gathering data isn't enough. Teams need to hire people who can process that information and make it work for them. [PPP]
- Due to his involvement in a rape investigation, Patrick Kane will no longer appear on the cover of EA Sports' NHL 16. Jonathan Toews gets the cover all to himself now. My suggestion of using a shot of Johnny Boychuk and his Swiffer Sweeper was rejected. [SB Nation]
- Down Goes Brown passes judgement on every Stanley Cup champion through NHL history. I can explain it, but you're better off just reading it.
Hey, Boomer: we know the Islanders drive you crazy, but could you take it easy on their players? Thanks.
Tuesday night hockey gets ugly for @zeeker11 courtesy of @7BOOMERESIASON #Goon pic.twitter.com/8ynIJfT3hp— Matt Martin (@mattymarts17) August 12, 2015