- The big news around the Islanders was no news: as in no new deals for RFAs Brock Nelson and Kevin Poulin. Not signing doesn't mean anything dire, but the situations bear watching. Per Arthur Staple:
Have not heard whether Nelson/Poulin accepted their QOs. If not, talks continue. Only deadline is start of camp in September.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) July 15, 2015
If either one were to hold out #Isles still have org. guideline that players who miss 1st day of camp sit out entire year.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) July 15, 2015
Appears that Nelson/Poulin did not accept their QOs by yesterday's deadline... Next deadline for a deal: Sept. 17, start of training camp.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) July 16, 2015
- Play poker with Matt Martin to benefit his charity. My advice, R2: Let the Matty win. [Matt Martin Hockey]
- Mathew Barzal's potential is through the roof. [Today's Slapshot]
- Catch up on the Riveters, their free agents and the NHWL salary cap in Zoë's first post.
- Bryan Berard talks about the scumbag scam artists that made off his retirement money. [National Post]
- Johnny Oduya oh don'tcha. The veteran defenseman joins Patrick Sharp in Dallas by signing a pretty reasonable two-year deal. [that and much more at Defending Big D]
- And immediately after that, the Ducks signed Ryan Kesler to a pretty unreasonable six-year extension that will pay him almost $7 million a year. At age 31 now and with a lot of miles on those bones, by the time the deal is over, Kesler will just be a pile of orange and black goo on the Honda Center ice. But hey, Bob Murray was the 2014 NHL GM of the year and finalist this year. Not that I'm still bitter or anything. [NHL.com]
- The Mystery of the Up-and-Down Goalie Prospect, starring Canadiens pick Zachary Fucale. [EOTP]
- The annual Super Schedule is out at On the Forecheck, outlining which teams travel the most throughout the season. As usual, the Islanders get off pretty easy.
- Chinese women's hockey is also on the rise as a former National team captain returns to lead a development camp. [IIHF]
- Sure Greece doesn't have two drachma to rub together, but they want to buy the Coyotes because it would be awesome. [Zeitgeist foolishness]
- The finalists for the NWHL jerseys designs have been chosen and it's time to vote on all four. I went with Option B for the Riveters. Has a real New York Americans vibe to it.
"Why Dontcha" by West, Bruce and Laing. A little obscure, but it puts the bow on the Johnny Oduya Musical Pun Series.