It was a long, crazy weekend for everyone watching the NHL draft. Time to sift through the rubble.
- A round-up of all seven Islanders picks, plus some fun notes from TEH TWITTARS. [LHH]
- Garth was movin' on up. To the first round. For some de-luxe young forwards in the sky-high-highigh. [Newsday]
- More on Andong Song, whose drafting breaks a barrier for a budding hockey country. [LHH | Newsday | Sportsnet | ESPN]
- Closing out the Griffin Reinhart File: The moves behind the trade, which started a while back initiated by Snow [Edmonton Journal] | Oilers cheerleader David Staples has his doubts. | Reinhart gives his side of things to Edmonton radio. The Boychuk/Leddy moves spelled his doom. [NHL.com]
- A charity golf tournament brings out Islanders past, some of whom were traded for each other. [Newsday]
- Also, in case you were wondering...
My sense on Grabner: #Isles shopped him aggressively and got almost no interest. May revisit moving him after July 1.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) June 27, 2015
Around the league
- A full rundown of Day Two of the Draft is here. Congrats to John Dahlstrom, the 211th and final pick, who went to the champs. [SB Nation]
- Remember when the Islanders traded for Tim Thomas' rights and everyone made fun of them for being a cheating, cheapskate organization that helped a rival wiggle out from under a cap crunch? Well, it's the Coyotes turn now after they sent Sam Gagner and a pick to the Flyers for Niklas Grossman and the remaining contract of one Christopher Pronger. The Flyers might even buy Gagner out, giving them even more cap room. Broad Street Hockey is ecstatic.
- Cam Talbot was finally traded to the team we all assumed he would be, the Edmonton Oilers. The return for the Rangers was slightly less than had been previously reported. To fill the void behind Henrik Lundqvist, the Rangers traded for Chicago's Antti Raanta. [Copper & Blue on Talbot | BSB on Raanta]
- Talbot's former teammate Carl Hagelin is a Duck now and Emerson Etem is a Ranger. Anaheim also sent well-traveled James Wisniewski to the Hurricanes for Anton Khoudobin and shipped Kyle Palmieri to the Devils. [Anaheim Calling]
- The Stars picked up Antti Niemi's rights from the Sharks and hope to sign him to help mitigate the eventual Kari Lehtonen injury. [Defending Big D]
- Vancouver sold low on yet another goalie, sending Eddie Lack to the Hurricanes for a pair of middling picks. [Nucks Misconduct]
- The Canucks are also trying to trade Kevin Bieksa, but haven't found a taker. And it's all Johnny Boychuk's fault. [ESPN]
- Days of y'Orr on Don Sweeney burning the Bruins to the ground.