HEADS-UP: NHL.com is streaming the draft, as well as some team sites for those without NHL Network (like me).
Day Two, rounds 2-7 of the NHL Draft, starts at 10 am on NHL Network and TVA in Canada. So grab a cup of coffee and a donut and have a seat.
The Islanders picks for the next few rounds (at least, for now) are:
- 3rd round: One pick, their own at 82.
- 4th round: One pick, their own at 112.
- 5th round: None (Dan Boyle rights trade last summer).
- 6th round: Their own at 172.
- 7th round: Their own at somegoddamnplace
Islanders Day One Recap and other news
- No first round picks, you say? Surprise! The Islanders traded Griffin Reinhart to the Oilers for picks 16 and 33, and used the former to take Seattle center Mathew Barzal. Lots to unpack: LHH on the trade and the re-balancing of the prospect pool. | And on Barzal | Oilers perspective from Copper & Blue. They're...not thrilled.
- But wait! There's more! They flipped that 33rd pick and the 72nd to Tampa Bay for pick No. 28 and selected smallish but talented QMJHL forward Anthony Beauvillier. [LHH]
- Reinhart on the trade: "It wasn’t something I was asking for but it was a pleasant surprise." His biggest advocates there were not Peter Chiarelli but old guard Bob Green and Kevin Lowe. [Oilers]
- Barzal is as surprised as you are that he's an Islander right now. [ESPN 710 Seattle]
- Craig Custance gives the Islanders an A- on their first draft day. That's all I can tell you because the rest is for E$PN In$ider$ Only.
- Rumor nuggets from the draft floor. Garth Snow is out of shits to give. [TSN.ca]
- The Beauvillier pick joins Ho-Sang to make consecutive years using the Rangers' first-round pick. [LHH]
- Arthur Staple on the moves and the picks.
- And a photo gallery of the newest Islanders.
- We all know why the Islanders made the moves they did: a rousing pre-draft speech from "Cappy." [Les Beaver]
- Non-Draft Stuff: Japanese forward Yuri Terao will attend Islanders camp for the seconf year in a row. [Japan Times] | RIT captain Celeste Brown signs a free agent contract with the Riveters. [NWHL]
- The full recap of the first round is here. You know the first two picks. The rest was all over the place.
- Before the draft, a number of teams were busy:
- The Bruins blew up their roster, sending Dougie Hamilton to Calgary and Milan Lucic to Los Angeles in some universally-panned deals. Kings back-up goalie Martin Jones and bunch of picks went to Boston. [SCOC on Hamilton and Lucic]
- The Sabres started the day by trading the 21st pick (formerly belonging to the Islanders) to Ottawa for Robin Lehner and David Legwand. Buffalo followed that up with an afternoon trade for Colorado's Ryan O'Reilly, ending that long saga. [DBTD on Lehner/Legwand and on O'Reilly, who wants serious cash in his next contract according to the Denver Post]
- Bow Tie Bill made the pick for the host Panthers, who took brutish Lawson Crouse. [Sun Sentinel]
- FIVE (5) teams unveiled new jerseys at the draft, including pretty lame threads for the Coyotes and Avalanche. [Sportslogos.net]
- How a trade call goes down. It's basically like any other phone call. [Senators]
- The 1970 Blackhawks take on Sesame Street characters. G is for goalie, that's good enough for me. [SCH]
- The most important draft of the day went down at Pensburgh, which hosted the 2015 Hot Takes Draft.