The NHL Awards Show is tonight at 7 pm on NBCSN in the US and Sportsnet in Canada. In case you forgot, John Tavares is a finalist for the Hart Trophy for league MVP. He probably won't win, but you should watch the show anyway for the awkward speeches, bad comedy sketches and rare, appreciated glimpses of player personalities.
Plus, it's not like there's anything else on anyway. You're not going to watch the Mets, so don't even try that excuse.
- The salary cap gets a $71.4 million dollar limit for next season, and the Islanders are in good shape with about $16 mill to spare. But RFAs Anders Lee, Brock Nelson and Thomas Hickey are waiting new deals. [LHH]
- Bob McKenzie broke the news that 3-on-3 OT and coaches' challenges for goalie interference and offsides calls are coming. Be ready. [LHH]
- Tavares was part of a group of stars who were asked why scoring is down across the league. Why don't they talk to the goalies and defensemen instead? [Toronto Sun]
- Michael Dal Colle and Joshua Ho-Sang both scored invites to Team Canada's national junior team summer camp. Let's hope they give more than a passing look to each player. [Hockey Canada | Toronto Sun]
- Hockey's Future previews the Islanders draft.
- Strome Family of Hockey Players Profile No. 1,056. Did you know Ryan has a brother? True story. [TSN.ca]
- Did you wish Bill Torrey a happy 81st birthday yesterday? No? What's the matter with you? [LHH]
- We like you, too, Lubo:
Lubomir Visnovsky, who turns 39 in August, is "definitely" going to play next season per his agent. "He really likes #Isles, for sure."— Stephen (@StephenCLorenzo) June 23, 2015
- So who gets the most screwed over by the new salary cap? [CBS Sports]
- Buying out Nik Backstrom won't really help the Wild that much. The fallout from the Summer of 2012 continues. [Star Trib]
- If goalie prices seem unreal to you, it's often because they are. [Oilers Nation]
- Ken Hitchcock and Scotty Bowman have advice for Connor McDavid. I advise listening to them. [Nichols on Hockey]
- The Caps get new/old third jerseys and Alex Ovechkin gets to add to his already bulging closet. [Japers]
- Mike Francesa explains emoji. And your life is now complete. [SBN]