That's it. The 2014-15 NHL season is over. Some team won it all for the third time in six seasons -- an impressive feat in modern cap/free agency times -- and the commissioner who never says anything by accident calls them a "dynasty."
Silly Bettman, dynasties are for kings....
...and teams that reel off their Cups without taking a break to lick their wounds and nurse hangovers.
The Islanders Point Blank podcast welcomes Sound Tigers play-by-play man Phil Giubileoto discuss Griffin Reinhart and the other blueline prospects. [SoundCloud]
The Cup Winneth Over
- The Blackhawks won a great, close series with the only game that was decided by more than one goal. Though they are facing more cap pressure, they've stayed on top by navigating it. [USA Today]
- (To that point: A sign of this era of Western dominance is that a deep team lost Nick Leddy and still wins the Cup, while the Bruins lost Johnny Boychuk and missed the playoffs.)
- Chicago went a bit crazy. [SB Nation]
- The Cup nearly didn't arrive at the arena on time because of Chicago traffic...which by Kate Murray logic means there shouldn't be an arena there. [Sporting News]
- Sadly, Blackhawks great Stan Mikita has no idea this Cup happened. [Chicago Tribune]
- Ben Bishop had a torn groin. Tyler Johnson had a broken wrist. [SB Nation]
Umm... pic.twitter.com/4OT6JwZRuz— #VoteCubs (@Cubs) June 16, 2015
Neither Island Nor Cup
- ESPN on hockey! Spike Lee on Hockey! On Willie O'Ree, the Jackie Robinson of hockey. [ESPN Video]
- This would be, like, really bad for the team that eliminated the Isles: Capitals’ Nicklas Backstrom could miss five months following hip surgery | The Hockey News
- This is, well, amusing and sad and practically demands a sequel to Dan's Matrix bit from last week: The guy who failed to purchase the Devils before he failed to purchase the Islanders (and then sued Charles Wang) before purchasing a narrow majority of the Coyotes is no longer majority owner of the team. He's got the biggest stake, but there are "philosophical differences." You don't say. [Five for Howling]
- There is speculation about
MoAnthony Mantha trade rumors, so the Wings observers try to sort through it. [WIM]
- Colin Campbell -- not that one -- reviews a bit about NHL 16. The video game. [Polygon]
- Finally, here's Sportsnet's rather Blackhawks-heavy (but hey, they won and deserve it) montage of highlights and cool audio from the 2015 Stanley Cup playoffs. I have personal reason to appreciate the bit referenced below:
Best part about the CBC montage is Patrick Kane telling Pat Maroon to rush home to his roller hockey championships.— Travis Yost (@travisyost) June 16, 2015
(It's correct, except for the surface.)