Happy Memorial Day, everyone. Please take time to reflect on those who sacrificed everything so that we can talk hockey all year long.
Islanders sausage links
- An Austrian site says Lubomir Visnovsky is negotiating with EC-KAC on a two year contract with the club. As always, take rumors with a grain of salt and Google Translate with about a tablespoon of it. But it wouldn't be a surprise for the 38-year-old UFA "silver fox" to sign in Europe. [kleinezeitung.at]
- Memorial Cup: Michael Dal Colle and the Generals have won their first two round robin games at the tournament and are guaranteed a spot in the semi finals. Dal Colle has a goal in each game. Game 1 vs Rimouski | Game 2 vs. Quebec
- Yesterday was the 35th anniversary of the Islanders first Stanley Cup and, not surprisingly, Eric Hornick was all over it with an amazing treasure trove of goodies, including stats, quotes, trivia and tons of video. And you can watch a condensed version of Game 6 and read some of the reporting from May, 1980 right over here.
- A fan battles a legend over the return of a historic puck. [NY POST ALERT]
- Using past "breakout" teams to predict how the Islanders will follow up their "breakout" season. [NHL Numbers]
- Technically, this is a political article, but it's about Islanders fans continuing social media assault against Kate Murray and how small an impact they are expected to have in the upcoming election. [Newsday]
- Conference final updates: The Lightning shut out the Rangers 2-0 last night and can wrap up the Eastern Conference final on Tuesday at home [Raw Charge]. The Blackhawks and Ducks are tied at two after yet another OT win for Chicago. Game 5 is tonight [Second City Hockey]
- By now you've heard that Bob Murray, Steve Yzerman and Glen Sather are the finalists for the GM of the Year Award. We could go off on why omitting Garth Snow was a mistake, but we'd rather let veteran NHL voice Dave Hodge do it for us.
- Gary Bettman is looking at a $71 million salary cap for the NHL next season. [Broad Street Hockey]
- The Oilers sent their season ticket info out in gold NHL lottery-style envelopes. Clever, creative or completely idiotic? [Copper n Blue]
- Pioneer Slava Fetisov has apparently reversed course on this whole international hockey melting pot thing. [Broad Street Hockey]
- A classic and hilarious Down Goes Brown transcript of Mike Babcock's job interview.
- Dan Byslma is a very popular man, and may have a job interview in New Jersey soon. [NHL.com]
- Forward Peter Quenneville might not sign with the Blue Jackets. He's Coach Q's cousin and a nephew of Johnny Boychuk by marriage. [PHT]
- Paul Stewart still hates Mike Milbury. Join the club, ref. [Hockey Buzz]