A win today, coupled with a Caps loss gives the Islanders second place in the Metro Division and home ice in the first round. That's a big deal. But today's game at Nassau Coliseum would have been a big deal anyway.
FIG picks can be left here. Probably wise to not pick Hamonic. Also, every time I make a FIG thread, the Islanders lose the game. So I'm sorry in advance.
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | NY Daily News | Islanders | NHL.com | Pensburgh (be NICE if you go over there | NYI Skinny
- Travis Hamonic left the game with an injury which could mean trouble if he's not back soon. [LHH]
- Tyler Kennedy flew the penguin cage and escaped the shark tank and is now trying to fit in as an Islander. [Post-Gazette]
- So here are the Islanders and Capitals in the playoffs again, two fitting opponents with a long history. [Japers]
- And Barry Trotz knew it was going to happen all along. [PHT]
- Sportsnet reports that John Tavares is good.
- Without the Kings possessing their way to a Stanley Cup, can the Islanders use that formula. [National Post]
- The Sound Tigers couldn't overcome their penalties and lost in OT to Syracuse. [CT Post]
- Notre Dame captain Robbie Russo is a CCM All-American. [UND]
- The Oshawa-Niagara playoff series is on, with Michael Dal Colle's Generals taking Game 1 behind his two goals and one assist. Josh Ho-Sang had an assist for the Ice Dogs - but it was pretty friggin' sweet. [Durham Region]
One More Look Around
- USA Today tells people in hotels across the world that the Islanders are leaving Nassau Coliseum. With a handy timeline, too.
- The Toronto Sun talks to executives who have watched their teams from the press box.
- WNYC on the fans saying goodbye to the Coliseum.
- Look, George Vecsey, we get it. You covered the Dynasty and thought it was the greatest team ever assembled. But in the 20 years since they played, the Islanders have had some pretty good players, too. Some of those guys are even playing now. Time didn't stop at the 1984 Cup final. So these "transcendent moments" are great but possibly incomplete. [NY Times]
- This, on the other hand, is good: Katie Strang on the Coliseum's good, bad, ugly and Jiggsy. [ESPN]
Last Day of School
- More bad news for the Penguins: it appears Krys Letang won't be back this season. [Pensburgh]
- Shocking: Jack Eichel is your Hobey Baker Award winner. [SBN College Hockey]
- Everywhere there are analytics now. Get with it. [NHL Super 16]
- How the Lightning set up Steven Stamkos for that big blast from the circle. [NHL.com]
- Tyler Seguin talks and laughs about a lot of stuff. [Puck Daddy]
- Oilers fans happy for Flames fans. Dogs and cats living together. [Copper and Blue]
- Mac McCaughan, maestro of the band Superchunk, is a huge Hurricanes fan and has been since they touched down in his native North Carolina. [The Concourse]
And here's some Superchunk that should describe all our feelings today. Let the excitement flow.