After all that deadline excitement, the Islanders actually get to play hockey games, too. The first day of the rest of their season is tonight in Dallas. FIG picks can be left here. Game time is 8:30 p.m.
- Tyler Kennedy and Michal Neuvirth are in, Chad Johnson is out. [Newsday | NY Post | Daily News | NHL.com | Hornick's Insta-Skinny | Brian Compton on the incremental but empowering moves]
- From LHH: The Big Thread on the trades | Like a good neighbor, Kennedy is there. | Neuvirth is an upgrade and a reset button, but at cost.| Context and comedy from the tweets of the day.
- Where exactly does Kennedy fit in the Islanders line-up? [Eyes on Isles]
- Fear the Fin is unimpressed with the Kennedy trade.
- All of those trades made the Metro even muddier. [NHL.com]
- Garth Snow put in good work Monday. [Capitol District Islander] He discussed the why. [Isles]
- Acquiring Johnson makes the Sabres goaltending so horrible parental guidance is suggested. [Edmonton Journal]
- Cory Conacher, David Leggio and Matt Lashoff are also out.The returns were minimal - forwards Dustin Jeffrey and Mark Louis. [CT Post | Soundin' Off]
- The deadline reminds Leboff of the legendary Ryan Smyth Gambit.
- All of the trades I'm too lazy to include below can be found here.
- Cover John Tavares in bubble wrap: the Flyers traded for Radko Gudas. [BSH]
- The Oilers had one guy they had to get rid of and they messed it up. The Habs pick up Jeff Petry for peanuts. [EOTP]
- Chris Stewart is now a #CurrentWild, and found out in the most awkward way possible. [DBTB]
- Minnesota also traded for the Blue Jackets Jordan Leopold because his daughter asked them to in a heartfelt letter. Seriously. [SBN]
- The Ducks got James Wisniewski from Columbus for "wild" Bill Karlsson and the walking cap hit once known as Rene Bourque. [The Cannon]
- The Penguins brought back Ben "Reverend" Lovejoy and sent promising Simon Despres to Anaheim for some reason. [Pensburgh]
- Brad Treliving made measured moves for the Flames. [M&G]
- Winners and Losers! The Islanders are listed as neither, which, I guess, is okay. [SBN | NHL.com]
- Non-Trade: Dion Phanuef is not a Detroit Red Wing. [WIIM]
- But Dave Nonis was busy building, including adding disposable ex-Islander Eric Brewer late in the day. [PPP]
- Ron Wilson hopes the Leafs lose forever. Sounds about right. [Bardown]
Beyond the phone calls
- Video: Bob Nystrom's goal will forever belong to Long Island. [Newsday]
- The Islanders won't be adding Brooklyn to their logo, which for some is an issue. [Bloomberg]
- A look at Patrick Kane's unfortunate injury from Eric Morris. [Undisclosed Injury]
- Nashville will honor Tomas Vokoun before a game on Thursday. He was one of (or the) first real star the Predators had. [NHL.com]
- Nobody watches prime time hockey on Saturday night. So much for that experiment. [Awful Announcing]
- TV Networks: if you're going to put Tweets on the air, you might want to read them first. Making jokes about players sleeping with teammates' wives might not go over well. [Puck Daddy]
Glenn Healy said some not-nice thing about the Panthers on Sportsnet's deadline show. Florida captain Willie Mitchell reciprocated.