The bad news: The Isles lost again yesterday. Good news: They have a chance to make amends today. Bad news: It's against the Wings, who are good and shut out the Lightning 4-0 yesterday. Good news: Good teams sometimes lose too!
- The Islanders lost and people are sad and miserable. (Except Frans.) Recaps: LHH | Isles | NHL | Newsday | Post | Daily News | Skinny]
- John Tavares shoulders the blame, feels the weight. [Newsday]
- The team searches for answers. [IPB]
- That and other recent results are fresh on the mind, thus feeding the hockey fan tendency to think all is lost. [LHH]
- Another way of putting it: Hello, regression. "The Islanders lost their fifth straight one-goal game after going 25-4-4 in their first 33 such contests." That's from Newsday injury/health updates on Grabner, Visnovsky, and scratched-but-loved de Haan.
- Overlooked: Mikhail Grabovski injury hurts. [THW]
- New Bridgeport signing C.J. Motte made 29 saves to win his pro debut 4-1, though the Sound Tigers were still officially eliminated from the playoffs. [BST | CT Post]
- Ferris State fans are used to all that. [@FSUMonkeyMan]
- Yet more praise for Frozen Four-bound Isles prospect Doyle Somerby. [@jkreiser77NHL]
- It reads like it was written by a computer, but here's behind-the-scenes on the Dept. of Player Safety's consideration of Shaw's headbutt on Brock Nelson. [Sentry Review]
Beyond Misery Island
- The Rangers came out flat in a loss in Boston yesterday. [Post] Probably Jack Capuano's fault for "not having them ready."
- Bob Essensa became the backup goalie after Tuukka Rask went down in that one. [SI]
- After ascending to the top of the Central Division, the Blues have fallen three points behind Nashville with yesterday's loss to Columbus. [stltoday] Also Capuano's fault for "conceding first."
- Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel and other top draft prospects self-evaluate. [NHL]
- Craig Anderson returned from a blocker hand injury and stopped a shot in mid-air with his blocker...three times. [SB Nation] Second two were Cappy's fault.
- Speaking of crazy saves: diving Miami player stops empty-net goal. (They still lost though, to Providence.) [SB Nation] Other NCAA winners: North Dakota over St. Cloud, BU over Duluth, Denver over BC, Omaha over Harvard. [SBN College Hockey]
- The biggest NCAA news: RIT pulled off massive upset of top seed Minnesota State-Mankato and Stephon Williams. [SBN College Hockey]
- Jim Corsi is beloved and trusted by Hall of Fame goalies, and his analytical approach began with honing his own game as a young goalie. [Globe & Mail]
- With homeland currency in...trouble, could Ilya Kovalchuk come back? And could/should Devils care? [ILWT]