- Recaps of a royal flush: LHH | Newsday | NY Post | Daily News | NHL.com | Islanders| JFTC
- I'm taking this. [SB Nation]
- Did You Know: Luc Robitaille's first hat trick happened at Nassau Coliseum? It was probably Jack Capuano's fault. [Mayors Manor]
- When he's not being celebrated for his hockey skills, Pat LaFontaine is a humanitarian. He was at Adelphi University speaking about concussion awareness [Garden City News]. He also dropped a nice note to Eric Hornick about his last appearance at the Coliseum.
- OHL coaches love Michael Dal Colle. [Oshawa Express]
- Spitfires coach Bob Boughner said some crazy things about his former player Joshua Ho-Sang. Many thinkpieces have ensued. Here's mine: Get bent, Boughner. [Sportsnet]
- Ho-Sang and his Ice Dogs lost the opening game of their series with the Ottawa 67's. [St. Catharine's Standard]
- The new Nassau Coliseum deal has hit a snag?! Who could have seen that coming except everybody. [LI Business News]
- (semi-related: Bruce Ratner is getting ready to begin construction of a new LIRR station under Barclays Center. [Newsday])
- I spotted this jersey foul at the game Tuesday night. Bro, the Islanders have paid the man, now you should pay (for) the man. [Puck Daddy Jersey Fouls Tumblr]
The National Women's Hockey League announced its formation and teams yesterday. Four franchises - New York, Boston, Connecticut and Buffalo - will play an 18-game regular season and a two round playoffs. A launch party will be held next month in New York City.
The CWHA just completed their season, with Hilary Knight's Boston Blades winning it all, but competition is a good thing, as is diversity and opportunities for athletes to play at the highest level they can. I'm looking forward to seeing how the NWHL gets going and hope it makes real strides and succeeds where others have failed.
(BTW: I'm totally down for being a Connecticut Whale fan if the New York Riveters seem a little too... Rangery.)
- Sabres defenseman Mike Weber is about done with all the tank talk. [Puck Daddy]
Flyers Wayne Simmonds and Andrew MacDonald are out for the season with injuries because the regular season is about seven more games. [SI.com]
- Tanner Glass scored his first goal of the season and Alain Vignault thinks it's hilarious. [SB Nation]
- In case you haven't noticed, Alex Ovechkin has had a magnificent season. [Japers]
- Former player and current Coyotes radio analyst Nick Boynton has been detained after allegedly biting an officer in a Buffalo casino. Boynton has been suspended by the Coyotes. [Buffalo News]
- Could Gary Bettman testify at an NHL concussion trial? Oh boy. [AP.org]
- Rangers fan sees 1,000 consecutive games, doesn't let a vasectomy get in the way. Also calls Billy Smith an "asshole." The jokes write themselves in the New York Post.
Before the game, Jack Capuano wasn't sweating the slump. [Newsday]. After the game... different story.