After yesterday's excitement, the Islanders get back to work tonight against the Senators, who beat the Canadiens 5-2 last night. FIG picks go here. Keep an eye out for scratches later this morning or just follow the plumes of smoking rising from the villagers' torches.
- Yes. It's all true. Johnny Boychuk is now on Twitter at @JoBoych.
- Oh. One more thing. He also signed a seven-year, $42 million contract extension with the Islanders. A big ticket for a big part of the locker room. [LHH with updates | Newsday]
- Opinions on the Boychuk signing range from "good but pricey" to "by the time it's bad, the Islanders could have multiple Stanley Cups." [LHH]
- One more: Boychuk's signing signals a change in the franchise. [USA Today]
- The two days off were a chance for the players to rest and reset. [IPB]
- Somebody tell Steven Marcus at Newsday that Brian Strait is the designated whipping boy because I don't think he knows.
- Ed Mangano's "hope" of the Islanders returning to Nassau County is not shared by the team. But you already knew that. [Newsday]
- About 90 minutes before the Boychuk news broke, I posted Episode 5 of the Last Call in Nassau series, in which my best friend and I see the Islanders lay an egg against the Hurricanes and eat at All American.
- Brian from Point Blank lets the Rangers hate flow through him. I think he speaks for all of us.
- Turns out a March 13th against the Cleveland Barons in 1977 had a lot of milestones for the Islanders. [NYI Skinny]
- The Sound Tigers special teams are very unspecial and contributed to the team losing 11 of it's past 12 games. [CT Post]
- Aaron Ness took a puck in the face during practice, a metaphor for the Sound Tigers season. [Soundin' Off]
- Bridgeport will host Irish Night this Saturday for all the lads n' lasses. [BST]
- The Rangers will be without defenseman Kevin Klein for 4-6 weeks thanks to an upper body injury. [NY Post]
- Following the Penguins for a full game day. [Triblive]
- More minor league upheaval. In the AHL, Hamilton moves to St. John's and St. John's moves to Winnipeg, while the OHL's Belleville Bulls move to Hamilton. [The Hockey News | EOTP on the Bulldogs old and new]
- Gary Roberts is coming to the States to kick your ass. [National Post]
- NHL teams, maybe as many as 14 of them, are circling BU goalie Matt O'Connor. [E$PN IN$IDER$]
- For fun: each nation's leading scorer. All hail the Danish Gretzky. [Puck Daddy]
- It's safe to let the kids out now that the Sabres are ditching their god-awful yellow third jerseys. [Sportslogos]