Despite their best efforts, the Islanders simply couldn't throw away two points in Toronto. Their prize is the final regular season game at Nassau Coliseum against New York's most popular hockey team.
FIG picks for tonight's game against the Rangers can be left here. Should you pick Kyle Okposo...? Maybe. We'll see today. But there is a remote chance Okposo could be cleared to play tonight. [Newsday]
- Recaps: LHH | Newsday | NHL.com | Islanders I PPP with a great title | NYI Skinny
- John Tavares has a real shot at the Art Ross Trophy, which only one Islander has ever won. [Islanders]
- It's only one goal (of 33), but does Tavares' spectacular OT winner against the Leafs strengthen his Hart Trophy argument? [Puck Daddy]
- The Toronto media is consistently impressed by Tavares' consistency. [Star]
- The best Islanders-Rangers games in Uniondale according to the Daily News. | Memorable Coliseum games from Eric Hornick, Pat LaFontaine and some idiot from Lighthouse Hockey. [NHL.com]
- The Rangers say good bye to their second home. Newsday | Daily News | Derick Brassard to NHL.com. | If you don't already have a ticket, good luck. [Newsday] | The Islanders and Rangers had a rivalry before they really knew it. [NY Times]
- Despite everything they've done this season, one more win against the Rangers would go a long way for the Islanders or, more importantly, their fans. [Altar of Bossy]
- And a look at the first Islanders game at Nassau Coliseum as the home dates wind down. [CBS NY]
- An invitation to Canada's Olympic camp drove Travis Hamonic to up his game. [CP]
- Tavares was the NHLPA's Player of the week, apparently.
- Ray Ferraro visited Al Arbour and catches the Point Blank Podcast up on the coach.
- Barry Melrose and his hair talk about the Metro Division race. [NHL.com]
- Josh Ho-Sang had a heckuva week and other prospect notes from the Islanders.
- The Sound Tigers have recalled defenseman Loic Leduc from Stockton [Thunder] and traded Justin Courtnall to Syracuse. [Soundin' Off]
- Snapping a long losing streak is "nerve-wracking," according to captain Aaron Ness. [Soundin' Off]
Around the Boards
- TSN's Scott Cullen recaps the recent Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.
- There was a war of words between Patrick Roy and Star-Tribune writer Michael Russo. Maybe Russo would like Roy better if he were a #FormerIsle. [Slam Sports]
- P.A. Parenteau is a healthy scratch for the Habs? Are you fist-fornicating me? [EOTP]
- Signing Nathan Horton was a huge gamble that may have busted the Blue Jackets. [The Cannon]
- The Flames have plans for a new arena to replace the ol' Saddledome. [CBC.ca]
- And Lightning owner Jeff Vinik has some big plans for a Tampa revival. [The Hockey Writers]
- I agree that the NHL should do more to promote women's hockey and the CWHL, but comparisons to the NBA and WNBA are a little wrong given their corporate relationship. Anyway, an impassioned read all the same from Stanley Cup of Chowder.
- Want to design a new Sabres third jersey? Die By the Blade wants your ideas.
- High School hockey players in Minnesota continue to push the boundaries of hair styles. [SBN College Hockey]
Classic 90's gaming reference by our friend Dan from On The Forecheck.