- Jaroslav Halak will start tonight looking, again, for the Islanders' single-season wins record. [Newsday]
- Nick Leddy means more than just good play for the Islanders. His new contract represents a shift in how the team is perceived. [Dom's thoughts]
- Leddy stopped by SiriusXMNHL for an interview that I had to bail on because it's so boring. But here it is anyway.
- JUST ADDED - Lunchtime Listening: I had the pleasure of appearing on @Hope_Smoke's How About Some Hockey Talk podcast last night and the link will be up some time this morning. We talked about Leddy, the PK, the goalies, The Hockey News and TEH STROME.
- The Canucks say Cal Clutterbuck may have pulled a Roger McDowell on the Sedin Twins last Sunday and they want the NHL to step in. No word on if Clutterbuck said, "nice game, pretty boys." [PHT]
- The Islanders relished a little time off for rest and recovery. [IPB]
- And Kael Mouillierat gets to spend some time with his hero, Doug Weight. [Islanders Practice Notes]
- For the last time: the leaked Brooklyn Hockey logos aren't for the Islanders. Same name, same logo, same uniforms, new third jersey next year. [Neil Best at Newsday | Deadspin had it, too]
- Moving to Brooklyn won't change the Islanders connection to the community. A real nice read from Islanders Insight.
- How are championship teams built and what model do the Islanders fit. [Altar of Bossy]
- Flames analyst Kelly Hrudey reminisces about his time as an Islander on his last trip to the Coliseum as a broadcaster. Great quotes and an even greater picture in the Calgary Herald.
- Voting for the annual Bobby Nystrom Award is now open. [Islanders]
- Video: Mr. Islander talks about his Coliseum Connection. It's probably a close one. [New$12 Long I$land]
- Mike Bossy talks about the Islanders toughest opponents. [Nichols on Hockey]
- Cory Conacher is trying to get himself back on track. [CT Post]
- A stack of Sound Tigers stats. [BST]
- Cranston, Rhode Island is a hockey coach factory. [Providence Journal]
- Penn State has three goalies, including Islanders draft pick Eamon McAdam. Another guy who knows about goalie tandems is Garth Snow. This article from SBN's Black Shoe Diaries tells some personal stories about Snow's college days and what kind of person he is. Read it.
Early Trade Frenzy Continues
- Jaromir Jagr adds another team to his resume after getting sent to the Panthers for a couple of picks. He can help Florida to the playoffs (or get dumped again on Monday if they slip up this weekend. Although that's probably unlikely) [Litter Box Cats]
- WHAT. ON. EARTH? The Maple Leafs did what was once thought impossible: they actually traded David Clarkson and his flock of albatrosses contract to the Blue Jackets for injured Nathan Horton. Money-wise, it's almost a wash, but the Leafs can afford pay Horton on LTIR and the Jackets at least get a warm body. It will be years before we all recover from this. [PPP Gif Party | Cannon's confusion | Sportsnet on how IT happened]
- To much less fanfare, the Leafs also traded forward Spencer Abbott to Chicago for former Leaf (and brief Islander) T.J. Brennan. [Leafs Nation]
A few more
- How much are the most sought-after players really worth? [TSN]
- And FYI: a handy chart of each team's picks for this year's draft. [ESPN]
- Connecticut native Mark Arcobello has been all over the hockey map this season. [CT Post]
- Catching up with the man who developed NHL '94. Fun fact: when he started working on the game, he had never seen a hockey game before. [Bangor Daily News]