Tonight the New York Islanders host the Arizona Coyotes, who come in struggling, priming for a firesale, and fresh off a 3-0 loss to the Devils last night in Newark.
- Newsday has lots of injury updates (no Casey Cizikas yet, Frans Nielsen a gametime decision), as well as the Isles putting their 0-1-1 weekend in scoring chance perspective. [Newsday]
- The Coyotes have lost six in a row. That means it's Dylan Reese time. [Coyotes]
- We were due a trade deadline thread, so here's my interpretation of why the Isles have long been expected to be quiet. [LHH]
- The suspensions from the weekend line brawl are in: Scott Mayfield gets six games. Brent Thompson: "It's a big hole we're missing. Scotty's been playing good hockey." [CT Post] [BST]
- Here's a GIFfy breakdown of the brawlin'. [RMNB]
- ESPN(!) did a pretty cool and accessible rundown of where teams in all four major sports leagues fall on analytics. The Isles are listed among the "believers." [ESPN]
- Cool "It Happened at the Coliseum" t-shirts, with proceeds benefiting Make-A-Wish. [Isles Blog]
- I cite this phenomenon a lot when discussing coaches: Lots of good ones have "old school" tendencies that drive fans mad. Dan cameos on this rundown of Barry Trotz and others in the Metro. [Stars and Sticks]
- SB Nation College Hockey continues its top 100 NHL Prospects in the NCAA, with Taylor Cammarata listed at 79. [SBN College Hockey]
- A longtime critic of the arena in Brooklyn says it's not meeting profit projections. [NetsDaily]
- Ever let a place go to pot on your way out because you hated the landlord? Me neither. The Isles and SMG reportedly owe Nassau County more than $3.6 million. Heh. [Newsday]
- FIG Picks: Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight over here.
This is kind of amazing. Ask questions below if you don't catch the drift:
This sums up Josh Bailey so well. #Isles pic.twitter.com/iRY3z8hjNv— garik16 (@garik16) February 24, 2015
Yes! Yes! Yes!
Daniel Bryan, the originator/inspiration for the Yes! Yes! Yes! post-goal celebration, checks in to promote the Coliseum Conversation event happening Feb. 25:
More on the event here. [CBS NY]
Beyond the Island
- The Blue Jackets are reportedly trying to offload James Wisniewski and the contract the Isles wouldn't sign him to. It's cap-expensive, but the actual cash payout goes down over the final two season. [SB Nation]
- Very touching couple of stories about Herb Brooks from Bob McKenzie. [TSN]
- Boston University won the Beanpot -- in OT -- for the first time since 2009. [SB Nation]
- The what now? Eric goes into the internal carotid artery injury of Henrik Lundqvist. [Undisclosed Injury]
- Igor Larionov had a cool post at The Players' Tribune on life as a Soviet player after the Miracle on Ice. [Players Tribune]