Tonight the New York Islanders host the Edmonton Oilers, who are on a road trip that included a win over the Devils last night in Newark. Of trivial note: an Isles win would be their eighth consecutive over the Oilers at home, dating back to 1999, when the Oilers were on-ice relevant and the Islanders were mired in the kind of hell the Oil currently finds itself.
Around the Island
- Register your FIG Picks for tonight here.
- The Isles have a easier stretch of the schedule here, but the loss in Edmonton last month is a reminder that the NHL and this maddening sport provide no gimmes. [Newsday]
John Tavares was on Sportsnet's Hockey Central yesterday. Among his quotes were several on Jack Capuano. [IPB]
- The tales from the recently concluded dads trip are great, as apparently greater player depth has also made for "the best group" since Papa Bailey's been doing this. [Isles] Frans Nielsen's dad had a particularly memorable quote. [FanShot]
- The Isles prospect report reviews the big weekends from Taylor Cammarata and Josh Ho-Sang. [Isles]
- Billy Smith recalls his Coliseum memories. [New$12 LI]
- A different goalie: News of Evgeni Nabokov's impending retirement had me recalling some interesting quotes he had about his late goalie coach, and the mysterious mental aspects of the position. [LHH] Fear the Fin offers an ode to the man who backstopped the Sharks' best years.
- The winding career of Cory Conacher and his former AHL mates who are shining in Tampa. [Syracuse]
Beyond the Coliseum
- Tonight's opponent has not impressed fans, in case there's ever a question. [Copper & Blue]
- Is he gone, for how much, and when? Bob McKenzie dishes on the Evander Kane saga (with a bad pun). [TSN]
- Cute pics: Alex Ovechkin presented the car he wanted so badly at the All-Star Game to the youth hockey team he wanted so badly to please. [RMNB]
- Many thoughts on poor (and sliding) NHL ratings for Rogers in Canada, and what it might reflect. [PPP]
- Rink preparations for the next California outdoor game. [NHL]
- All kinds of snapshots and presentation summaries from the hockey-happy Ottawa Analytics Conference. [PPP]
- Tracking ties. Hockey analyst ties. [ESPN]
- This year's playoff field almost appears set in both conferences. Are any teams ripe for a fall? [CBS]
- Very long, but relevant to inclusiveness: Harassment and misogyny in hockey twitter. [Eyes on the Prize]