Remember when the game after an Islanders-Rangers game was a guaranteed loss for the Islanders? It hasn't been that way for a while, so let's hope those bad old times don't return tonight, with the always tough to wrangle Blues visiting Brooklyn. FIG picks go here. Game time is 7:30 pm.
- You heard right: Throughout December, fans will once again be allowed on the glass to watch Islanders warm-ups. It's a start, and a welcome change based on fan feedback. If all goes well - and, frankly, why wouldn't it? - the policy will continue as it should. [Barclays Center]
- Also, the Islanders annual food drive is upon us. Please give. [Islanders]
- Kyle Okposo guested on NHL Live and talked about the Rangers game, the move, the contract and the West Coast road trip that got the team back on track.
- Bob McKenzie says the Islanders are likely to hang onto Okposo despite his impending UFA status. [TSS]
- The first New York Derby in Brooklyn was good. Let's do it again. [Neil Best | Sports on Earth]
- Lots of people watched the game from home, too. [Newsday]
- Don't look now but the Islanders are right in the the thick of the Metro. [TSS]
- Adam Pelech reflects on his brief NHL experience. [CT Post] | And special teams were the order of the day for the Sound Tigers. [Soundin' Off]
- Josh Ho-Sang had a goal and an assist in Niagara's loss to Mississauga to extend his points streak to 17 games. [StCS]
- Remember Tom Nilsson? The defenseman who was thrown into the Michael Grabner trade and who was placed on unconditional waivers so he could return to Sweden? He talks a little about his exit from the Islanders/Sound Tigers in a Frolunda podcast that was helpfully translated for us by Zeb from Eyes on the Prize. Thanks again, Zeb!
- Doug Weight will return to Carolina to celebrate his and the Hurricanes' Stanley Cup 10-year (!) anniversary. [Twitter]
Around the league reading
- The World Junior Tournament is coming to Buffalo in 2018, which is nice for us in the States. But that's not all: brace yourself for an outdoor game between Team USA and Team Canada. [TSN.ca | Playing outside is a terrible idea, writes Travis at BSH]
- The Royal Half runs down the types of hockey fans.
- The boards in Ottawa took a hit last night that required concussion protocol. Obligatory Benny Hill music Vine ensued. [SB Nation]
- Oh. The Oilers might trade one of their one-time saviors? Hm. Seems like a familiar story. [Edm. Jour.]
- But Edmonton looooooooooooooooooooooooves Anders Nilsson. [The Hockey Writers]
- The Dallas Stars have yet to really hit any speedbumps in their excellent season. Once they do... [DBD]
- Brodeur's back-ups tell the less-than-harrowing tales of wearing a baseball cap behind a legend. [Slap Shot Diaries]
- Something something Coyotes and their arena. Maybe they move somewhere, maybe they don't. [AZ Central]
- Vinny Lecavalier has some special inspiration helping him through this tough season: his kids. [TSN.ca]
- NEW! This will brighten your Friday. Seriously. [Blueshirt Banter]
- Not Hockey: Free your mind and let Jon Bois take you on a trip to answer one of life's great questions: What is a catch in the NFL?