Good morning, and hope you had a giant evening.
The New York Islanders will put their 10-game points streak on the line tonight against the soon-to-be-redesigned and currently banged-up Florida Panthers, who were the assailants during that bizarre five-round, nine-goal shootout on the day after (U.S.) Thanksgiving, back when this points streak was just two games old.
Leave your FIG picks here.
- Between the UFA status of Kyle Okposo and Frans Nielsen and the trade request of Travis Hamonic, the Isles have some decisions ahead, just so you know. [NHL Numbers]
- The Islanders prospect report includes the usual suspects plus Jake Bischoff, who really needs to make the NHL because I love saying that name. [Isles]
John Tavares is feeling a bit better lately, and discussing it is "just one of the many things John Tavares quietly handles every day." [Newsday]
- These are the Isles plays of the week. SPOILER: Hot Okposo action. [Isles]
- Just what you always dreamed of: Nick Leddy and Johnny Boychuk in an Islanders uniform some fashion spread for Bloomberg or whatever. [Bloomberg]
- I (Dominik) will be one of the guests on the SNY IPB podcast today with Brian Compton and friends, so you should listen to see how many times I can mention Frans Nielsen.
- Here's what the Sound Tigers week looked like. [BST]
- The Sharks holiday video includes the man who is #20 in your program and #1 in your hearts, at least during Maven interviews. [Sharks]
- An argument for Frans Nielsen for president. Though honestly earthly titles are beneath him, IMO. [Along the Boards]
- Bummer and struggling times for Matt Moulson. [Buffalo News]
- Relevant for tonight: The Panthers have recalled Corban Knight, who debuts with the team loooong after they drafted him. [LBC | Miami Herald]
- Not relevant for tonight, but fun: Rob Schremp Hockey is rocking Portland. [LBC]
Beyond the Isle
- The Penguins and Blackhawks swapped bad defensemen. Trevor Daley requested out of Chicago, while Rob Scuderi was a favorite in Pittsburgh but is a shell of his former self as an NHL player. [Second City Hockey | Pensburgh] Dallas kind of forced Chicago to take Daley in their summer Patrick Sharp salary dump, so this is a way of mitigating that. The Hawks will probably turn Scuderi into an all-star though because that's just how these things work.
- P.K. Subban is amazing in many ways and hockey needs more of him. [Sporstnet long read]
- Glen Sonmor, beloved hockey man and former North Stars coach, passes away at 86. [NHL]
- The NWHL's Whale kind of rock. [Victory Press]
- OMG, the Penguins hired the wrong Winterhawk?! (featuring the most...surprising photo of Travis Green) [THN]
- The Flames have goalie issues, so fans are talking themselves into Karri Ramo. [M&G]
- Bill Camp will narrate "Road to the Winter Classic" this year. [CBS NY]
- The Smurfs are struggling (teehee), but the coach believes their play is better than their record in the last 10 games. Usual savior Henrik Lundqvist hasn't been all that thought. [Post]
- The Sabres won in Detroit in regulation for the first time since 1994, which is a year that never happened, actually. [Die By The Blade]
- OMG the Rangers waived Jarret Stoll and you should care because Erin Andrews. /Post'd [Post]
- The KHL will expand to China, which I'm sure is make glorious benefit Putin. [Sportsnet]