Happy Thanksgiving! Today is that holiday in the United States, and the league is going dark with no games.
But you still may need reading while at work (if outside the U.S.) or while avoiding family (if stuck hearing racist Uncle So-and-So opine on anachronistic things).
- The Islanders took care of business with a thorough if narrow 3-1 win over the Flyers. [LHH | Newsday | Post with curious Karate Kid lead | Inquirer | Isles | NHL]
- We graded the Islanders first quarter with stats and leaders and charts and such. [LHH]
- Taylor Beck was sent back to Bridgeport. In related news, maybe Ryan Strome is on the way back? [Newsday] UPDATE: Yes. Strome was recalled today.
- Doyle Somerby is flashing some offense with BU. [SBN College Hockey]
- Alarming news out of Sweden as Kenny Jonsson is struggling with a major health issue, an infection and blood poisoning. [LHH | Aftonbladet]
- The night in goalie injuries, part 1: On a conditioning stint with the Sound Tigers, J-F Berube left last night's game with an injury. [Soundin' Off]
- The Sound Tigers lost the game to Yann Danis, by the way. [CT Post]
- The night in goalie injuries, part 2 (and a bummer): Kevin Poulin suffered a dislocated knee cap again. [Sportak]
- The night in goalie injuries, part 3: Carey Price re-injured his leg. [NHL]
- However, in happy news, in that game the Rangers had way more trouble with the Canadiens than the Isles did: "It seems to be the same story against these guys. We make mistakes and they make us pay." [NYT]
- Slapshot Diaries has some cool first-person stuff, like how Jamie Rivers died (but came back) in Croatia, and Sean Pronger remembering how he dressed poorly and hazed his younger brother, and several recalling what it was like to have Wayne Gretzky coach them in Phoenix.
- Maybe Sidney Crosby and Mario Lemieux are feuding and maybe it's all bull. [Puck Daddy]
- John Collins leaves the NHL with a legacy of having dramatically grown the game, and by "game" I mean "league revenues." [Puck Daddy]
- Why hasn't Anze Kopitar signed an extension? [TSN]
- Yay for 3-on-3 overtime. [Today's Slapshot]
- TJ Oshie makes fans' day, it's what he does. [SB Nation]
- Ted Leonsis says owners shouldn't mingle. [WaPo]