Normally, you'd think a three-day break in the game schedule would be quiet.
The New York Islanders are not "normal." So the previous 24 hours were...interesting. From news breaking Wednesday night that the Isles had been quietly looking for a trade for Travis Hamonic, to the well-respected Islanders defenseman having to tell teammates and then media Thursday morning what it was all about, it was a whirlwind of a "no news" day.
But Hamonic made his case (in short, there's a family issue he'd rather not discuss, but which led him over the summer to ask Garth Snow to seek a trade to a Western Canadian team), re-asserted his love for the Isles and recognition that a trade might not be found anytime soon, and pledged to keep giving his all for the Orange and Blue until that moment comes.
Not ideal by any means, but probably the best that can be made of a tough situation.
Now on to tonight, and through the weekend: A home-and-home with the Montreal Canadiens, who have had the Isles' number. Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight here.
- All the Hamonic and team quotes fit to print: [LHH | Newsday | the Post | NHL.com | Isles official site]
- Plus a reflection, and a plea to give Hammer an ovation, from Altar of Bossy.
- How the request puts the Isles in a bind. [TSN statistically speaking | SI]
- Garik has analyzed the neutral zone data through the Isles' first 19 games...signs of progress! [LHH]
- After much mixing, the Isles may have found a first line...and a second line too. [Newsday]
- Last night Dan talked about the Hamonic news with the RTU Sports podcast.
- Dan was also on the CKMAGIC SPorts podcast, episode 54.
- The White YESuv from Barclays Center was interviewed by Isles Blog, maybe.
- The Sound Tigers discuss hockey's scoring dip, and they say it's more than fat goalies and nets. [CT Post]
- What you've always wanted: Anthony Weiner discussing hockey, Isles. [Isles Buzz podcast]
- Isles brought to school by a fifth grader. [Isles]
- Kyle Okposo helps launch OYO's new hockey rink set. [CBS NY]
- Cal Clutterbuck and the Isles fourth line appeared in a surprisingly funny segment for The Nightly Show on Comedy Central. [LHH]
Beyond the Hamonic
The league and NHLPA are building a five-day "bye week" for each team into next season's schedule. What trade bombshells will drop during the Isles week? [ESPN]
Why the NHL killed its All-Star format...besides the obvious reasons. [Puck Daddy]
The work behind the rise of Nana Fujimoto. [Today's Slapshot]
Hilary Knight will captain the NWHL All-Star team, Jan. 24 in Buffalo.
The Stars' attack is balanced and relentless. Scary. [TSN]
The Wild are bad at 3-on-3 through four attempts so it's the coach's fault. [Hockey Wilderness]
Five minutes with Milan Lucic. [TSN]