The New York Islanders are in southern California for a back-to-back with the Kings and Ducks beginning tonight. It's always a tough road swing, though last season they -- barely, with OT and shootout help -- pulled off the sweep.
Leave your FIG picks for tonight against the Kings here.
Islanders Reads (and Views)
- The Islanders have struggled in several non-special teams areas, but their goalie tandem has helped keep them afloat. [Newsday | Isles]
- It was an ugly win, but the Sound Tigers will take it for their best 15-game start in their 15-year history. [CT Post | Soundin' Off | BST] Their opponent included one Max Talbot.
- Even further down the pipeline, confidence among the ECHL Mavericks. [Examiner]
- And in the NCAA, the unusual goalie rotation at Penn State that includes Eamon McAdam. [Onward State]
- Who would you remove from the Hall of Fame? The merits of Clark Gillies, among others, are debated. [Puck Daddy]
- Miroslav Satan discusses old times, what he's up to now, and playing for Al Arbour. [Islanders Insight]
- Mathew Barzal scored for the WHL win in the Canada-Russia series. [NHL]
- Michael Dal Colle will wear an A for the OHL team int hat series. [Whig]
- Fantasy talk: Seabrook vs. Boychuk [Dobber]
Nabby and The Maven
If you missed the MSG interview by Shannon Hogan with Evgeni Nabokov the other night, it's posted here (and below...we've also archived it here if you want to discuss/hunt for it later). Nabby talks about what he's doing with the Sharks now, living back in his adopted home, and seeing his old Islanders teammates on their swing through town. Oh, and also his classic exchanges with Stan Fischler:
- The latest NHL effort to increase offense is truly extreme, as they will try requiring goalies to wear straight jackets. [LHH Zeitgeist]
- I've always argued that Europe is a great life option for "bubble" players with the right outlook, and this excellent Andrew Gordon piece details exactly why. Great story on the four demotions he had during his final NHL season, too. [RMNB]
- The Wings will sign Justin Abdelkader to a seven-year extension. [NHL]
- The on-going battle among fantasy/gambling sites and New York. [Bloomberg]
- What makes Stars' Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn so unstoppable? - Sportsnet.ca
- Tie Domi talks fighting, son Max and positivity. Sports On Earth
- Patrick Marleau talks trade rumors by saying he'd rather not talk about it. [NHL]
- The Devils owner apologized for his helicopter landing canceling a youth soccer game while parents and kids waited in the cold. #twopercentproblems [Deadspin]