Separately, Jaroslav Halak was on the ice, but then left, and there was no declaration on his availability for opening night.
Site note: I don't want to overpromise, but a long-awaited podcast may actually be a thing. Stay tuned.
Goal Horns, Bath & Beyond
- Staple has the sequence and latest on Halak's undefined injury. [Newsday]
- The annual prediction contest is here! Drop your knowledge, your clairvoyance with fellow LHHers. [LHH]
- SB Nation's NHL season preview launched yesterday, and we contributed a few questions/answers [LHH] as well as some basic overviews for the mothership. [SBN]
- There's a lot of other goodies in there, but one is a fresh reminder about the new rules (3-on-3 OT, coach's challenges).
- Horn news. Horn news! Yormark heard (many of) you. They are scratching the new goal horn, for now. [LHH | Times]
- That and other things about the transition to Brooklyn were discussed by Yormark in an interview with ESPN NY, which Dan helpfully transcribed and added context to. [LHH]
- Meanwhile, Grantland's previews has the Isles in the "I mean maybe great but maybe not at all?" division. [Grantland]
- Bridgeport opened its preseason schedule by controlling play against Hartford but losing, 3-2. [CT Post - Soundin' Off]
- Broken sticks and bucketless (not bucket lists): The new rules in the AHL. [Soundin' Off]
- Michael Dal Colle's consolation prize for returning to OHL Oshawa: The captaincy. [LHH | Generals]
- Pretty cool reflection on Hockeyville, and playing a tournament in the very same rink. [LHH Fanpost]
- Behind the scenes at Isles Media Day. Sexy. Many autographs. Shiny lights. [IslesTV]
The Gremlin makes new friends:
No problem glad it made it there! https://t.co/dvMv9NaBbi— Michael Grabner (@grabs40) October 1, 2015
Those Other Teams (Real and Imagined)
It's hockey season, which means it's time for more 30 Thoughts goodies. This one goes into guessing the NHL's expansion thinking. [Sportsnet]
Five teams could be "crushed" by their goaltending this season. The fifth one will...be too familiar. [CBS]
In classic Bettman confidence, the NHL doesn't want to settle the concussion lawsuit because it thinks it's got nothing to hide. [Puck Daddy]
The Dallas jumbotron mocks teams, bad child pop stars. [SI]
The four NCAA 2017 regional hosts have been announced. [SBN College]