Stuck at work on Columbus Day? No problem. So are the Islanders.
This afternoon's game time is 1 pm and FIG picks can be left here. Get them in now. Maybe the early start and some natural sunlight will make Barclays Center seem a little better for those still smarting.
- The preview for today's game is already up at Arctic Ice Hockey. Stop by and say "hi." Good people there.
- The Skinny on the Islanders' forgettable Saturday night in Chicago.
- Michael Willhoft was at opening night and talks about the good, the bad and the weird.
- Altar of Bossy on the Tarantino-esque Metro Division. I have it on good authority that the Devils don't tip.
- A couple days late, but Anthony Beauvillier had himself quite a game on Friday, with three goals and two assists - including the OT game-winner - in Shawinigan's very QMJHL 8-7 win over Rouyn-Noranda. [Life in Quebec]
Sound Tigers' Start
- The Islanders' AHL affiliate is 2-0 after a couple of healthy wins this weekend. On Sunday, they scored five times in the third for a 6-1 win over the St. John's Ice Caps, who are now affiliated with the Montreal Canadiens. [CT Post | Michael Fornabaio's post-gamer on Stephon Williams]
- So how 'bout dem Sound Tigers?
Riveters Opening Day
- The NWHL opened its doors yesterday with two contests, and the New York Riveters dropped their inaugural game 4-1 on the road to the Connecticut Whale. Our own Hockey Goalie has the recap.
- Blueshirt Banter talked to Riveters defender and New Jersey-ite (but St. Louis Blues fan) Gabby Figeuroa before the game.
- If you think the Islanders are off to a slow start, consider the Blue Jackets who already had a team meeting after back-to-back blowouts against the Rangers. [Blue Jackets Xtra]
- Man, this Mike Richards settlement with the Kings is all kinds of messy. [TSN.ca]
- Meanwhile, across the freeway, the Ducks are a Cup contender that's still bleeding money. [LA Daily News]
Sending positive vibes...