Good morning! Hope you still have power, heat and something to eat amid the snowpocalypse. Since the "potentially historic" storm ended up being just a "storm" -- at least for the New York area, anyway -- expect tonight's game to be on as scheduled.
- If the weather threatens tonight's game, an announcement will come sometime. It would be rare, but so is this storm. [LHH]
- Of greater concern: Kyle Okposo is out 6-8 weeks with "upper body" of undisclosed details. [LHH | Newsday | Daily News | Post]
- Officially now: Both Okposo and Eric Boulton have been placed on IR. Lubomir Visnovsky, come on down.
- The Islanders talk about dealing with Okposo's injury, just when they feel the top line was gelling. [Isles] Check back later this morning for an analysis from Garik on why they needn't worry...at least not yet.
- A fantastic, winding interview with Clark Gillies featuring too many great lines to quote here. [THN]
- The Islanders' performance shows them to be Cup contenders, and the players believe [LHH]
- The Islanders' additions have made them Cup contenders, and the players believe [USA Today]
- Michael Grabner on loving the game, returning to health. [NHLPA]
- The latest practice update has big weekends from Josh Ho-Sang and Michael Dal Colle. [Isles]
- NBC Sports has "flexed" the Isles back into the schedule for a March 14 game vs. the Canadiens. [Newsday]
- A TSN survey of 20 NHL coaches rates the Isles and Rangers (and their coaches) the best in the East. NEW YORK BUY-US. [TSN]
- Aaron Ness had an assist in the highest-scoring AHL All-Star Game in history. [Soundin' Off]
- FIG Picks: Assuming we have a game (or if it's bumped a day), leave your First Islanders Goal picks here.
Back at work, John Tavares and Jaroslav Halak talk about their busy weekend, and losing KO:
Beyond the Snow
- The Sabres suspended Nikita Zadorov after he showed up late post-ASG break. [Buff Hockey Beat]
- The Kings waived Mike Richards on account of that contract and him playing like he's 41. [NHL]
- The Devils waived Tim Sestito on account of him not being old enough. [Fire & Ice]
- The NHL suspended Zac Rinaldo eight games on account of him doing Zac Rinaldo things. [NHL]
- Crosby will return soon, Malkin won't. [NHL]
- Longtime THN writer Ken Campbell has become an idiot, willfully ignorant of what he thinks he's ranting about. Willhoft and Eyes on the Prize each go into his latest.
- Something about Barry Trotz and a tiger transfer in Columbus. [Deadspin]
- All-Star Wrap: 25 reasons to love the game. [Grantland]
- But the game is broken, so fix it. [Capitol District Islander]