The All Star Skills competition is tonight. More info coming up a little later.
- John Tavares was on WFAN and said he and his teammates don't plan on resting on their laurels. [Print | Audio]
- (Note about the above audio: does it ever embarrass these guys that their main topics of conversation in regards to the Islanders are a two-year-old playoff series and games against the Rangers? Could they at least pretend to have done an ounce of extra research before talking to Tavares? I know I complain about the lack of exposure, but maybe the Islanders are better off that way.)
- Tavares talks about Johnny Boychuk's impact, while CSNNE's Joe Haggerty cries on his shoulder.
- Video: Matt Martin answers some intentionally silly questions from the YES Network.
- Y'know who's a fan of the Islanders' fourth line? Penguins assistant coach Rick Tocchet. [Post-Gazette]
- The Sound Tigers lost a hard-fought 4-2 game to Portland on Friday night. [CT Post]
- Defenseman Doyle Somerby's game is coming along. [Daily Free Press]
- A video on the one-and-only Paul Cartier, Coliseum organist. [News 12 Long Island]
So, About that All Star Draft
- It was fun and hilarious. Tavares and Jaroslav Halak ended up both being drafted by Team Toews, which makes for easier rooting (unless your hatred of Rick Nash and Patrik Elias is too much to overcome). [LHH | Islanders | NY Post on the three teams coming together]
- Ryan Getzlaf announced the drafting of Tavares and blew it. [LHH]
- Halak is just happy be there. His wife might disagree. [Newsday]
- Brian Elliott is now an All Star after being called into replace... somebody. [NHL.com]
- Alex Ovechkin lobbied hard to get the last man picked so that he could win the car. He was not successful but he had a hell of a time at the draft. [SB Nation]
- Instead, Filip Forsberg and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins both won cars. The Nuge looks like he's barely old enough to drive. [Puck Daddy]
- Oh, and the fantasy draft had a trade: Phil Kessel for Tyler Seguin. Again. [The Hockey News]
- Bryan Murray will most likely step down from running the Senators at the end of the year and handpick his successor. [Ottawa Citizen]
- It's about time someone sued the Leafs for torturing their fans. [PPP]
- Also from Pension Plan Puppets, a detailed breakdown of all of David Clarkson's assists as a Maple Leaf. All 10 of them. Amazing and disgusting at the same time.
- Sorry, Toronto. Steven Stamkos wants to stay in Tampa. [NHL.com]
- Last Leafs link: IceJerseys trolls the Leafs the way they trolled Garth Snow last year. [PPP]
- That time the Canadiens almost moved to Cleveland. Yes, really. [EOTP]
- Some guys are pumped for the World Cup of Hockey. [USA Today | Puck Daddy]
- But proud son of Switzerland Mark Streit isn't down with that whole Euro-Team thing at the World Cup. [Courier Post]
- Tyler Seguin talks about what it's like to be traded at a young age. [Players Tribute]
- A really touching story about All Star captain Nick Foligno and his family's ordeal with their baby girl. She's healthy now, but what a year they went through. [ESPN]
NHLers wear Go-Pro cameras. Madness and awesomeness ensues.