Hope you're finished counting Kyle Okposo goals because it's right back out there tonight for the Islanders. They're in Montreal to play the Canadiens. Leave your FIG picks here. Can Okposo keep it going?
But before that, there's a lot to parse through.
- Recaps of the Okposo-Showso: LHH | Newsday | NY Post | NY Daily News | NHL.com | Islanders | The Trib on the icing that sunk the Penguins
- Eric Hornick's Skinny on the wild win.
- Kyle's big night happened with one of his mentors in the house, Bryan Trottier. [Puck Daddy]
- Okposo is to Penguins what liver was to Fonzie. [The Hockey News]
- Trottier, of course, was celebrated before the game for being awesome. [LHH with his press conference | Daily News on his relationship with the team | Okposo, Capuano and other Islanders learned much from him. | Newsday on the great memories. | and the Post on some not so good ones.
- In case you're wondering, why yes, the Penguins do remember the 2011 brawl at the Coliseum. [Tribune]
- But Long Islander Rob Scuderi will miss playing at the old barn. [Post-Gazette]
- Torgo's back with another 10-game chunk installment. Turns out the Islanders are still good. [Fanpost]
- The NHL's Super 16 concurs.
- One of their secrets: shoot the damn puck. [NHL.com]
- But could the Islanders be in line to be even better? Uh...I need to sit down. [Washington Post]
- NEW! Allan Muir of SI says the Islanders are for real (and credit him for reversing course on the Jaroslav Halak signing)
- A closer look at puck possession with Professor Willhoft at his Tumblr.
- The team's composure off the ice has changed, too. [Islanders Point Blank]
- Longtime Devil and short-time Islander Jim Dowd got himself into some trouble. [Newsday]
- Frans Son of Fritz talks about how he achieved divinity. [XN Sports]
- Video: The new view of the Islanders [PHT]
- While we were watching the Islanders, the Sound Tigers lost to Providence in OT. [CT Post]
- If you're going to the Coliseum, make sure to down a frost Barn Rocker from the Oyster Bay Brewing Co. [Newsday]
- Sunday is Cancer Awareness Day at the Sound Tigers game. This is Candace's story. [BST]
- And don't forget to check out Mark's live stream of an Islanders Cup run on NHLPA 93 in honor of his friend today starting at noon. [LHH]
Bunch of Other Stuff
- The Islanders might (I say, might) have caught break as Carey Price is dealing with an injury. That means either Dustin Tokarski (no slouch himself) or Joey MacDonald (capable of strange magic) could start for the Habs on Saturday. [Eyes on the Prize]
- Winnipeg's Mathieu Perreault arm was busted in all kinds of ways thanks to a boneheaded check by Dan Carcillo. [Russian Machine]
- Speaking off assholes, Brad Marchand will sit for two games for slew-footing Derek Brassard. [DOPS]
- The Capitals lost in Barry Trotz's return to Nashville (thank you, Predators), but the man had a great and lasting impact on the community there. If you read just one of these links, make it this one. [Puck Daddy]
- So who's playing like a contender now? A bunch of new teams and some old stand-bys. [CBS Sports]
- "Ever wonder what drafting Alexandre Daigle looks like? Three seasons in it looks a lot like Yakupov." Ooof. [Oilers Nation]
- Bad Hockey Card Art is alive and well. [Puck Junk]
- Your token All Star Game entertainment is Fall Out Boy, OAR and Locksley (who have a bunch of cool tracks in Rock Band) [Blue Jackets]
- Just because gallery: the many moods, the many sides of Jaromir Jagr. The first is "Morning Mist." [ESPN]
- Let SBN college football guru Spencer Hall grade your car. [Car Berater]
Our man Staple is already embedded in Montreal, not drinking coffee or eating poutine.
#Isles-Pens on TVA here in Montreal, with #Isles legend Eric Fichaud in the studio. In Canada this game is good enough for rivalry night.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) January 17, 2015
Goalie scores goal, celebrate, other team gets mad. I'm pretty sure Reto Berra doesn't care.