Another preseason game? Seriously? Ugh. I guess. This one's in Boston, where we hope everyone has stopped cheering Derek Jeter long enough to check out the meaningless hockey scrimmage going on at TD Garden.
- A bunch of players you expected to get cut from training camp got cut from training camp. [LHH]
- Jack Capuano is tap dancing dangerously close to "watch the game, nerd" territory. [LHH Linkshot]
- Dom looks at three big questions for the Islanders this season.
- The revolving door on John Tavares' left side continues to spin. [New$day]
- Sunday was Tavares night in Oshawa, as the Generals retired their former captain's number. Here's his heartfelt speech via The OHL. Oshawa won the game 4-0, too. [Durham Region]
- News 12 Long Island has a brand spanking new Islanders page, covering the team like only basic cable news can. Hey, the team's organist is in Brooklyn!
- Our own Chris McNally likes Barclays Center. [LHH]
- The Islanders like Barclays Center. [Puck Daddy]
- But a lot of fans don't. [NY Times]
- I was with Peter Schwartz in his Barclays thoughts until he got to the "maybe they'll come back to Nassau" part. I think we need to avoid that fantasy for everyone's sake. [WCBS]
- Barry Melrose and his hair stop by the Point Blank podcast.
- And Butch Goring has assistant coach Greg Cronin on his show.
- Congrats to "Big Shot" director Kevin Connolly on his Emmy win as part of ESPN's 30-for-30 series:
Out in the World
- The Bruins will soon be adding RFA's Torey Krug and Reilly Smith after signing them to very, very team-friendly one-year deals on Monday. [CSN NE]
- Boy, that Dougie Hamilton sure looks like a keeper, according to one Denis Potvin. [WEEI]
- Columbus' Boone Jenner is out with a broken hand and suddenly, the Blue Jackets' entire top line is AWOL. I think I can hear Ryan Johansen's phone ringing. [The Cannon]
- The Avalanche gave contract extensions to Brad Stuart and Cody McLeod for reasons no one is sure of. [Mile High Hockey]
- SBN's NHL preview is very aesthetically pleasing, although the experts predictions for the Islanders are less so.
- Average goalies are good goalies. [Fear Das Fin]
- Olaf Kolzig was a much better than average goalie, and now into coaching and charity work. [In Goal Magazine]
- Brooksie wants more NHL stats made available, like the one's he's been keeping for years. Sure.
- And another one bites the dust as stats blogger extraordinaire Cory Sznajder (aka @Shutdownline) is hired by a mystery NHL team.
- Puck Daddy's Greg Wyshynski will host an evening with hockey writers next Monday in NYC. [Gelf Magazine]
- Is Saskatoon ready for an NHL team? You bet your frost-bitten ass it is. [Star Phoenix]
- For once, a uniform mock-up that works out for the Islanders. Too bad it's for NHL-themed soccer jerseys. [Icethetics]