Tonight the New York Islanders return to Brooklyn for another trial run. Next year at this time, they'll be there for good.
- Who's going to the game? Who wants to meet other LHHers beforehand? Check in at McNally's FanPost.
- The Isles are excited to revisit Brooklyn and Travis Hamonic just might eat off the concourse floors. [Isles | Post]
John Tavares is also excited to return to Oshawa for a jersey retirement. [Durham]
- Denis Potvin has been added to the first-half promo schedule for the Coliseum's final season. [Isles]
- We talked to Stanley Cup of Chowder about their former and our new backup, Chad Johnson. [LHH]
- 10 Wrong Predictions about the 2014-15 Islanders. [Islanders Insight]
- Tonight's opponent, the Devils were bludgeoned pretty good by the Flyers last night. [ILWT]
- An Isles season preview by GuardianLV
- Rick DiPietro's radio work has been so good, they gave him a
15-yearregular role. [Newsday]
- Casey Cizikas is fighting hard for a job. Ville Pokka impressed Jack Capuano. [Newsday]
Regarding the Hurricanes game, this quote from that story is a defensible statement:
Capuano thought Cizikas, Clutterbuck & Martin were their best forwards last night. "They grinded it out, they play Islander hockey" #Isles— Dan Savarino (@DanSavarino) September 25, 2014
...but it's scary in the context of this one:
Cappy will go with those for "opening night that’s going to give us the best chance to win. Who that’s going to be I don't know yet" #Isles— Dan Savarino (@DanSavarino) September 25, 2014
Standard training camp-speak, mostly. And Capuano acknowledged that veterans with guaranteed jobs will often ease back in more than guys on the bubble. But still.
Neither Nasau nor Brooklyn nor an Island. Discuss.
- Your Ryan Johansen piece of the day (well, a few days ago): Agents scratching their heads over Ryan Johansen’s contract demands | THN
Guess the player: "I think sometimes players that come from elsewhere think that they’re working hard, sometimes they think that they’re committed, and then they come here and they realize there’s another level they can get to. Nino’s an example of that." (Oops, I gave it away.)
- Who's ready for more Cold War? NHL vs. KHL over the World Cup. [Puck Daddy]
- I FanShot'd this, but Zach Parise has gone native with regard to carrying the puck in vs. dumping it constantly, which is how he says he was taught in New Jersey. [Star-Tribune]
- "First, lose the "ice" in ice hockey. With apologies to the other hockeys (field, tonsil, etc), the qualifier is only necessary if you’re attending an all-girls’ private school in Connecticut." An Englishman's Guide To Ice Hockey | MR PORTER
- Here are all of the Bourne "Unique Team Traits" posts at theScore.
- Danger: Will Colton Orr Keep Fighting? Why? - Pension Plan Puppets
- And related: Flames devote part of practice to learning how to fight - Article - TSN
- Battle of California wasn't going to let that Sharks Lake Tahoe team bonding story go without a windup. [BOC]