The New York Islanders have their young leaders. They have tasted the playoffs, and tasted disappointment afterward. They have seen the roster additions made over the summer. They are ready to take this team to a new level. Finally.
Such were the themes of media day, as players reported to camp for measurements, interviews, and photos before beginning skating today.
- "We have a lot to prove," and "it's up to the players." The best synopsis might be the quotes from John Tavares, Kyle Okposo and Travis Hamonic posted to the official site with some also appearing in news coverage.
- Hamonic is tired of watching the playoffs, isn't worried about last winter's concussion, and believes in this defensive corps. [Newsday | LHH]
- Okposo: "The time for rebuild is over." [Post]
- NHL previews capture much of the same and more: They are playoff contenders. | But they'll need to be better at home.
- But wait, are they a playoff team really? [Loser Point]
- Cause I mean, they are one of the five teams on the rise. [The Roar]
- The Sept. 30 preseason game against the Bruins will be on NHL Network in the U.S.
- LIRR service will be extended for the preseason game in Brooklyn.
- Lukas Sutter is a Sutter. That's a big hockey family. [Isles]
- A reflective piece from Matt Saidman, an Isles fan who covers the team for LIB Magazine.
- For fun: Who do you think gets waived at the end of camp? What are your five guess-ti-predictions for 2014-15?
- The final season: Isles hope to make it memorable. [LI News12] Yormark is in full planning and season ticket-soothing mode. [TheIslandNow]
Beyond the Island
- And just what is there to love or hate about the Habs? [LHH]
- Teemu Selanne, suffering from Brodeur Syndrome, torches Bruce Boudreau in his new book. Says he's a nice guy though. [Sportsnet]
- The Leafs started camp the way they always do: With "reporters" stumbling over themselves for the best gotcha headlines, including dumping on Phil Kessel. If you watch his interview here, you'll see him field the silliness with impressive ease. [NHL]
- Five things to watch in Leafs camp. [Mirtle]
- Ryan Johansen update: Still not signed, and heading to Vancouver to skate with a junior squad. But how much is he worth? [hockey-graphs]
- Also missing for Columbus: Nathan Horton with a back injury. [BJ XxXtra]
- Your new season's resolutions from Down Goes Brown. [Grantland]
- What's a fantasy owner to do about goalies? [Dobber Hockey]
- Remembering the Hartford Whalers, and torturing some of our Isles fan converts. [SB Nation]
- Thinking of buying NHL 15? Sounds like you shouldn't. It stands out for all the wrong reasons. [Polygon]