New York Islanders training camp is really, really close. So that's cool. Here is some fodder to pass the hours.
- Kyle Okposo's 2013-14 might've been a peak, but it was no fluke. [SB Nation]
- "How improved are the Islanders?" asks a headline that doesn't quite fit the actual preview itself. [Post]
- The schedule for the first half of training camp is out. [LHH]
- The Islanders golfed in their annual charity fundraiser. Here are pics and nice stories. And here is how close each player (plus Snow and Capuano) got to the pin.
- Miss Arthur Staple's Twitter Q&A the other night? We caught the highlights, and meditations, for ya. [LHH]
- Another voice and bushel of personal Coliseum memories. Remember Dr. Generosity's? [IPB]
- More on the Hah-vahd alum and alleged Isles suitor Falcone: I like "troubles with the Securities and Exchange Commission" for a band name. [Value Walk]
- How Ted Nolan's pursuit of an assistant led him to Bryan Trottier instead. [Buffalo Hockey]
- If you thought Jarmo Kekalainen was pissed at Ryan Johansen's agent, you haven't heard John Davidson yet. Very interesting saga, with "extortion" and "trying to get us fired" among the more demonstrative terms. [JD on fire via THN | Friedman digs into the agent's history | The Cannon calls Johansen selfish]
- Eric Gelinas, meanwhile, ended his stalemate and signed for peanuts in New Jersey. [ILWT]
- The Canadiens plan to move natural center Alex Galchenyuk to...center. [NHL]
- The Red Wings extended Danny DeKeyser for two years. [WIM]
- Bill Daly and Paul Holmgrem are Lester Patrick winners for service to U.S. hockey. Daly says he's happy with how the NHL has grown the U.S. game, and that should continue. Oh, and really the award should go to his bosses. *blinks*
- Stop getting so excited over rookie camps, okay? Nothing is imminent. [SB Nation]
- As for training camp, a thought exercise on bubble players: Before the camp starts, consider the player and then consider how much a good or bad camp should really change your expectations. [Willis on Bayesian Training Camp at Oilers Nation]
- The salary cap era trend has been for more balanced forward corps, fewer scrubs picking up tiny bits of minutes. [TSN]
- That last post was by Travis Yost ("TravisHeHateMe" on Twitter), who joins Scutt Cullen and James Mirtle for TSN's new analytics section.
- I guess this whole analytics thing isn't going away then, eh? [Yahoo]
- Yes, that was James Dolan busting out a kazoo in the middle of his band's set. Why do you ask? [ThePostGame]
- Poring through historical data to say changing your coach can help. [hockey-graphs]
- Calling all hockey fans of color: Share your experiences with the game. [Color of Hockey]