First, a word of thanks: Thanks to the readers for showing up all summer, and for adding your own interesting reads/links to the comments of these daily "bits" posts. Your contributions help your fellow readers, they help extend the conversation in this daily post, and they help us (re)share them in the next day bits for those who don't have time to visit the comments.
- John Tavares says he expects the Islanders to improve, and that starts with him. Look out. [Newsday]
- Tavares and Okposo's return to Iceworks got
mepeople pumped. Okposo wants to take another step; I vote we allow it. [Isles]
- You may have seen this, but Torgo pulled all the key videos together from the USA Hockey coaching symposium, where Jack Capuano discussed several tactical strategies. Also includes thoughts from Dean Lombardi, Dan Bylsma and others. [LHH]
- Related, Justin Bourne's team-by-team series tackles the Islanders' tendency to allow easy zone entries. [theScore] The Score (er, theScore) also did the fantasy angle, the three storylines and the offseason overview treatment.
- John Spano got arrested. ... No seriously, John Spano got arrested. Again. [Newsday | LHH mockery thread]
- Bobby Nystrom -- that's Mr. Nystrom to you -- reflects on the beloved Nassau Coliseum. [CBS]
- The Metropolitan's top 10 centers still include John Tavares. [Japers' Rink]
- The Hockey News mails in its Isles season preview.
- NHL.com's top 60 prospect list had a few near-misses, including Ryan Pulock. [NHL]
- MSG will carry the Isles-Devils preseason game in Brooklyn. Let's really try to score in this one, guys. [Isles] Two other preseason games will be streamed on the official site.
On the Mainland
- Saku Koivu announced his retirement, and Habs Eyes on the Prize does the proper series of tributes.
- His last NHL coach is getting a two-year extension. [Anaheim Calling]
- If you come at P.K. Subban about his Corsi, you best not miss. [Deadspin]
- The Coyotes' [corporation of some sort] Arena is now officially known as [corporation of some sort] Arena. [TSN]
- In unrelated news, Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum is still gloriously unsponsored and will see itself out that way.
- So NHL 15 is massively flawed and lacking obvious things. Puck Daddy looks at some of the best things in hockey video game history. (Sadly overlooks the cathartic value of maiming people after the whistle though.)
- Oh look, a Winter Classic involving teams who have already played in the Winter Classic. [Second City Hockey]
- A court filing says 10,000 former players and their families could file suits against the NHL for promoting a culture of violence. Also: About 10,000 former players engaged in promoting a culture of violence, earning money from fans who kind of dug it.
- Sad news: Amanda Kessel will miss the NCAA season because of concussion symptoms. Probably due to the NHL's culture of violence. [Puck Daddy]
"@Bryan_McKnight_: @anthony_reese12 haha I've been thinking about him all morning! No way anyone can get away with that today lol" r u sure?— John Spano (@MrJohnSpano) December 11, 2013