- This year's edition of Rob Vollman's Hockey Abstract is out now, and Dom looked at what Vollman had to say about the Islanders' chances this season. (Spoiler: they're good).
- It was only a matter of time before the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge hit our little home here. Both Garik and I, coincidentally and hilariously, nominated Dom, who accepted with great aplomb.
- Several Islanders prospects are already getting their seasons underway, and Jess Rubenstein of Islanders Insight has updates on Loic Leduc and Kyle Burroughs.
- The Junior Islanders finished the Harbin Tournament in China with a couple of wins and a second place finish. [Islanders]
- The Flames signed Devin Setoguchi on Saturday and Matchsticks and Gasoline likes it.
- Larry Robinson tries to explain why the Sharks stripped Joe Thornton of the captaincy and succeeds only in creating more questions. [Fear the Fin]
- Ryan Johansen remains unsigned and training camp looms for the Blue Jackets. [Blue Jackets Xtra]
- Meanwhile, an era closes as goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere announces his retirement. He will forever be the final member of the Hartford Whalers to leave the NHL. RIP Whale. [Edmonton Journal]
- AHL Western relocation is getting more real by the day, as a pair of CHL teams suddenly cease operations. [Howlings.net]
- Former Islander Graeme Townshend is starting a Jamaican National Hockey team. [Toronto Star]
- Remember that Pavol Demitra charity game we mentioned a few days ago? Here's a video of a touching tribute to the man from the crowd and players at the game. [Bar Down]
- For fun: You no doubt heard about or caught some of the 12-day Every Simpsons Ever marathon on FXX, even just by accident. Sometime Saturday afternoon, "Lisa on Ice" aired, and the hockey-centric episode is still one of the series' best. Here's a long review of it that includes some trivia. I want to see you both fighting for your parents' love.
More from Lighthouse Hockey
- Challenge Accepted. Rivals Doused.
- New York Islanders 2014-15: An 'Abstract' Preview
- [Bits] Islanders Party, Culture Shock, Summer Grabs, Kids Tournament
- [Bits] My God! The Dukes are going to corner the entire frozen orange juice market!
- Islanders finally unveil final patch for final season at Nassau Coliseum