Happy 4th of July to all who apply. Slap on a powdered and some stockings and party like the Founding Fathers (and mothers).
- Once again for those who missed, TSN analyst Scott Cullen put the Mikhail Grabovski and Nikolai Kulemin signings under the microscope. I always appreciate Cullen's objective approach.
- Islanders assistant coach Greg Cronin worked with Grabulemin in Toronto and helped recruit them to Long Island. His scouting report on the pair is at the Official Site.
- Garth Snow was on Joe and Evan on WFAN yesterday for a surprisingly light, but pointed interview. I hope to have a transcription up someone before Labor Day, but it's well worth a listen if you've got a free 20 minutes.
- And the Islanders Insight guys did a Dump And Chase podcast right after the signings. I wonder if they were happy about the moves.
- Garik looks at which defenseman the Islanders should target to solidify that position in this FanPost.
- The Islanders are spending money and the NHL simply will not stand for it. [Zeitgeist]
- Best of luck to Kevin Schultz who moves on from Islanders Point Blank. He did great work over there, but he won't be giving up the Islanders. Follow him on Twitter at @Schultz88.
- Claude Giroux and the Flyers issue a statement about his recent "misguided attempt at humor." I know the feeling, G.
- Believe it or not, the Flyers can still find room under the salary cap. [Broad Street Hockey]
- Employment Department: Darcy Regier is now an assistant GM in Glendale. | Jay Feaster returns to the Lightning as Executive Director of Community Hockey Development. [Raw Charge] | Pat LaFontaine returns to the NHL as VP of Hockey Development and Community Affairs.
- The Oilers might trade defenseman Jeff Petry, which would be a bad idea for them. [Edmonton Journal]
- Griffin Reinhart's Oil Kings coach (and former Islander draft pick) Derek Laxdal is now the coach of the AHL champion Texas Stars.
- Our own Hockey Goalie Eh moonlights at Matchsticks and Gasoline and writes about whether the Flames' many goons have any actual hockey skills. Nice work.
- NEW! Our medical expert Eric Morris looks at concussion research at his NHL Injury blog.
- An early unused Blue Jackets concept jersey. I like it, but I can see why it didn't fly. [Blue Jackets Pucks n Stuff]
- Farewell to old nemesis Alexei Kovalev, as he announces his retirement. The great thing about Kovalev's immense talent was knowing that he frustrated his team's own fans as much he did opposing teams. [IIHF.com]
Really cool look at how the Predators James Neal trade went down on the draft floor. GMs! They're just like us!
More from Lighthouse Hockey
- NHL threatens new lockout to curb Islanders spending spree
- [Bits] 5 o'clock High, Claws Giroux, Grand Olli Opry, Endangered Sharks
- Mikhail Grabovski and Nikolai Kulemin Signings: What's the Islanders lineup look like now?
- New York Islanders Sign Nikolai Kulemin, Mikhail Grabovski to 4-Year Free Agent Contracts
- [Bits] Dust settles, mistakes were made, names were named, excruciatingly long NHL off-season continues into second day