- The "biggest" Islanders news of yesterday was that the team and goalie Kevin Poulin agreed to terms on a new one-year two-way contract prior to his arbitration hearing. We talked a little about it it here.
- At Hockey Graphs, garik looked at the repeatability of defenseman performances from year-to-year.
- Which Islanders take and draw the post penalties? North Dakota Red Eagle investigates.
Around the Boards
- The Canadiens signed Lars Eller to a four-year extension. [Eyes on the Prize]
- Thanks to LeBron James "going home," we're going to be hearing about Steven Stamkos signing with the Maple Leafs in two years because hockey is stupid. [SB Nation | Puck Daddy]
- Forget the context of this article because it's worthless fluff. But if you ever wanted to see the ages of NHL general managers in chart form, here you go. Would it surprise you to find out that Garth Snow is one of the youngest GMs in the league? [Sportsnet]
- Hiring wunderkind Kyle Dubas has made Toronto the Center of the Hockey Stats Universe. So the Leafs fired their scouts and have a gigantic computer doing their job. Not really. [LHH Zeitgeist]
- When Mike Babcock speaks about analytics, you listen. [NHL.com]
- Our old amigo Al Montoya is hoping to be El Cubano Grande for Los Panthers de Florida. [Sun Sentinel]
- It took a couple of decades, but hockey prospects who grew up on the Coyotes are starting to come out of Arizona. [NHL.com]
- Can a team really be characterized as a "rush team?" Tyler Dellow contrasts the Kings and Leafs.
- Jim Nill is building a heck of a team in Dallas, and he shared his philosophies with Travis Yost for The Sporting News.
- The honeymoon is hella over for Kevin Cheveldayoff and the Winnipeg Jets. Good luck breaking that playoff drought this year. [Spector's Hockey]
- Down Goes Brown finds the weirdest and wackiest of NHL team Wikipedia pages.
- One of our favorite blogs, the indispensable The Royal Half, lost his dad recently and wrote a very heartfelt, funny and personal post that I can't recommend enough. Please make the time to read it. RIP THR Dad.
- On The Forecheck gets to the bottom of a non-controversy involving Seth Jones, Mike Fisher, Carrie Underwood and a golf ball. And I am once again reminded to thank our readers for having a sense of humor and indulging us in some of the silly, creative and completely bonkers posts we write just for the hell of it. Seriously, thanks.
Nice guy Thomas Hickey brings his steady, effective, low-key presence to a kids hospital. It's unclear from the video if any patients, orderlies, nurses or doctors told him he's useless unless he starts hitting people and clearing the crease.
- Unbreaking News: Poulin, Islanders avoid arbitration, settle for guaranteed peanuts
- Zeitgeist: Maple Leafs replace entire scouting staff with room-sized computer
- [Bits] Numbers Crunch, Sound Tigers Signings, Everybody Avoids Arbitration
- Retro Game Thread: Islanders Vs Penguins Game 7 1993
- Let's Make a Deal: Trade Josh Bailey or Trade Michael Grabner?