Lots of activity that had nothing to do with Derek Jeter yesterday, on what you might expect to have been a sleepy Tuesday in July:
- As tipped by CapGeek, Matt Donovan and Brett Gallan accepted their qualifying offers...
- ...Then the Islanders put Kirill Kabanov on unconditional waivers... [LHH | Newsday Isles Beat]
- ...and then announced agreements with Calvin de Haan for three years and Casey Cizikas for two. [LHH | Newsday Isles Beat | Isles CC and CDH] As a reminder, the remaining RFA Kevin Poulin has an arbitration hearing July 30.
- By the way, Kabanov thanked the fans and medical staff via Facebook, among some other curious observations. [LHH]
- In his continuing dive into comparing various junior stats with this year and recent draftees, NDRE took a look at even strength assists for Joshua Ho-Sang. [LHH]
- Griffin Reinhart is ready and determined to make the NHL. [NHL]
- I bet you can't look at this Facebook request from the Isles (and the responses) without getting all teary-eyed. Great stubs.
- Former Isle Derek King must've been bucking for a promotion, from assistant to associate coach of the Marlies (is that like alternate vs. assistant?). [TSN]
- Fancy yourself some fancy stats? Garik16, the analytics maestro here (and now officially on the masthead!) and at Hockey Graphs, has created a home for Islanders-focused analytics. [Islander Analytics]
- RETRO GAME THREAD: Tonight, we'll be watching the 1982 Cup clincher over the Canucks (cheers, Harold Snepsts and your beautiful 'stache!), with the game thread posting at 9 EDT and the game starting between 8:10-8:15. Not sure how this works? Tune in tonight and follow the directions for the synced game Last week's was swell.
Beyond RFA Island
- This look at Winnipeg Jets prospects who could make the leap this year does not include your favorite former Islanders late-round pick. Brenden Kichton continues to pile up points but ... something. [Arctic Ice Hockey]
- Centers! The Predators signed two of them (Roy, Ribeiro). The Oilers did not. On the Forecheck asks Five for Howling about Ribeiro and his Kabanov issues.
- Uni watchin': That post about the Flyers near-teal proposal turned into a three-part series at Icethetics delves into a very Whalers-like attempt at the Hurricanes' first logo, and the mid-'90s scourge of none more black.
- Relax! Out of respect for Sidney Crosby, doctors say he doesn't need wrist surgery. [TSN]
- After a feel-good return to the NHL, Paul Ranger now flees the Leafs to Switzerland. [TSN]
- Similar to the Islanders, the Flyers have been accumulating defenseman prospects and now it's a question of development. [BSH]
- Craig Button will comfort you now. [various Twitter]
- Will the Kane and Toews contracts break the payscale? [NHL Numbers]