The 2014 NHL Entry draft is in the books and while surely we won't be starving for lists of "winners and losers" in the next day or so, the Islanders seem by casual accounting to have made out OK. Taking two-high end players in the first round will do that, even if your later rounds are full of "who?'s" and "uh, OK's."
Like a true NHLer, Chris McNally heroically fought through debilitating injury to bring Lighthouse Hockey readers updates of all of the Islanders selections. The complete run down is here, followed by some other bits on the Islanders' haul from Friday and Saturday.
Thanks to everyone for following along, reading and discussing.
Sample McNally-ism: "It's going to be hard to find any fault in this selection by Snow and the Islanders...although I'm sure somebody will find something."
Sample McNally-ism: "So the fact remains, will this be a home run by Garth Snow, or will it be a possible Kirill Kabanov situation?"
Sample McNally-ism: "We all know the team needs goalie depth. It would have been nice to know that we were getting a guy who was definitely going to help fix that."
Sample McNally-isms: On Soderstrom: "The 6' 4" Swede ended up the 3rd rated European goalie in the draft, two spots ahead of Ilya Sorokin, who the Isles drafted in the third round." On the off-brand Toews: "Toews is actually an old man at 20 years old and will be going into his sophomore season at Quinnipiac University."
- I posted the post first round interviews with Dal Colle and Ho-Sang this morning.
- The Islanders' official site's write up of Day 2 features video of a very tan and healthy looking Jack Capuano.
- The Islanders also posted a short phone interview with defenseman Devon Toews, of another Toews family and not the one you're thinking of. Yes, it's pronounced "Taves." But his first name is pronounced "DEH-von." Hm. Good to know.
And somewhat surprised six-round pick Kyle Schemmp as well:
- Islanders 2014 NHL Draft: Isles Finish Up Draft By Selecting C's Schempp, Sutter
- Islanders 2014 NHL Draft: Islanders Select G Soderstrom, D Toews in 4th Round
- Islanders 2014 NHL Draft: Islanders Trade 65th Pick, Select G Ilya Sorokin with 78th Pick
- Post Draft Transcripts: Dal Colle & Ho-Sang talk about recent past and exciting future
- [Draft Day 2 Bits] Dal Colle is dal pick, but Ho-Sang is dal hotness