The NHL announced its 30 home openers for the 2014-15 season Saturday afternoon, and the New York islanders' final season at Nassau Coliseum begins with back-to-back games against against the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday, October 10th and Saturday, October 11th. The second game will be the Islanders' last home opener in Uniondale.
The Islanders went 1-3 versus the Hurricanes last season, their first as direct division rivals in the new Metropolitan Division.
The rest of the schedules for all 30 NHL clubs will be announced Sunday afternoon. We'll post the Islanders' remaining games, or at least some notable ones, when they're released.
The 2014-15 season will be the Islanders' last in Nassau Coliseum, their one and only home since 1972. If that isn't incentive to get you to a game, I don't know what is.
Here's a list of the other NHL home openers. The Stanley Cup champion Kings raise their banner at Staples Center on October 8th versus San Jose, the team they rallied to beat from a 3-0 deficit and have pretty much broken psychologically. Good luck, Sharks. And the first home game for the now-Arizona Coyotes is October 9th against Winnipeg.
- New York Islanders Top 25 Under 25: Anders Lee #8
- [Bits] Manhattan Eviction, Coaching Cacophony, Party in Philly
- Islanders Sale Update: Barroway Amasses Troops, but Wang is holding fire
- New York Islanders Top 25 Under 25: Ryan Pulock enters pros at #9
- [Bits] Are you troubled by strange noises in the middle of the night? It might be Alexei Yashin