- The Islanders filled their open assistant coach spot with some familiar faces yesterday. Greg Cronin returns after sojourns in Bridgeport and Toronto, and Bob Corkum gets promoted to assistant coach from associate coach. Doug Weight is also now officially the assistant general manager, but remains on Jack Capuano's coaching staff.
- Seen yesterday, Eric Duhatschek of the Globe n' Mail thinks Thomas Vanek (AND Matt Moulson!) could return to the Islanders this summer. (it's in the notes section towards the end)
- If you're a person with a death wish who has always wanted to dunk Matt Martin in a tank of water for charity, your golden opportunity is here.
- The Kings held their championship parade on Monday and, for once, no one complained about the traffic in LA. Puck Daddy has the video of mayor Eric Garcetti getting a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle too excited.
- A week old, but what the hell: the man behind the Kings' amazing and hilarious Twitter account. [LA Weekly]
- The Bruins announced that they won't re-sign UFA bruiser Shawn Thornton. Lovers of Olde Tyme Hockey will hold a candlelight vigil starting this week. Stanley Cup of Chowder probably won't attend.
- Ted Leonsis is one of us! He thinks Ken Campbell of The Hockey News is a crazy person, too. [Washington Post]
- Before your next Evander Kane or Dustin Byfuglien blockbuster trade proposal, you might want to consult actual Winnipeg Jets fans for what the might really want in return. [Arctic Ice Hockey]
- Puck Daddy's Rangers eulogy, written by a Flyers blog. I abstain from passing judgment.
- Not hockey, but sports-related. The great Tony Gwynn passed away yesterday after a battle with cancer. A super-human hitter, an ambassador for sports and his hometown of San Diego and a true original. This Deadspin profile recounts his excellence and intelligence. Rest in Peace.
(h/t to MikB) Speaking of player profiles, here's a nice one on draft prospect and SBN Mock Draft Islanders selection Michael Dal Colle and his family life including his mother's illness and his brother's disabilities. Also, his name is pronounced "dal coal" apparently. Hm. Anyway, he seems like a great kid.
- New York Islanders Top 25 Under 25: Scott Mayfield inches up to #12
- Islanders add Cronin, Corkum to coaching staff; Weight named assistant GM
- [Bits] Compliance Buyout Day Beach Party!
- New York Islanders Top 25 Under 25: At 13, Casey Cizikas facing competition
- Rangers prepare for 2044 Stanley Cup run by cloning Henrik Lundqvist