All the news that's fit to link.
NOW! with actual Islanders news:
- Discussed yesterday, but here for those who missed it (and have ESPN Insider accounts): Corey Pronman and Frank Provenzano discuss how Garth Snow should solve his draft pick drama. (h/t @ALerner31)
- Breaking, sort of: Sub .900 goalie Anders Nilsson vows to a Swedish reporter that he will never play in the AHL again. Islanders Insight has a translation and breakdown.
- Vote for Islanders Rookie of the Year at the official site. Tough choices there.
- Like Game 7's? Good, because there are three (3) of them going on tonight, including Flyers-Rangers after Philly's 5-2 win on Tuesday (featuring Wayne Simmonds' hat trick). Avalanche-Wild and Sharks-Kings round out Wednesday's schedule. Put the kids to sleep, turn off the phone and get comfortable. Tell your boss you're going to be in late on Thursday.
- Round Two starts Thursday night with Bruins-Habs. [Eyes on the Prize]
- Henrik Lundqvist (who was pulled) and Dan Girardi maybe didn't agree on how it all went down. [Vine]
- Like most old people, Jaromir Jagr found the New Jersey Devils Hockey Club and Assisted Living Center to be just delightful and is planning to spend another year in the Garden State. Nothing official yet, but it looks close. [In Lou we Trust]
- This fanpost looks at young guns bringing home the Stanley Cup and how old is too old.
- Is "Montreal Typical"" real? Examining Quebecois refs and how they call games involving the Canadiens. [SB Nation]
- Hey, did you guys hear that Thomas Vanek could sign with the Wild? He's apparently got some connections to The Twin Cities. True story. (but seriously, $40 million? Is that $10 million/4 years, $8million/5? Sounds low).
- Brooklyn Nets muckety-muck Bruce Ratner is looking to unload his 20% of the team, which is apparently losing money still. [Nets Daily]
- Peter Maher, the Flames radio play-by-play man since 1982, is retiring. [Calgary Herald]
- The best fights of the 2013-14 regular season. Keep your face protected. [Puck Drunk Love]
Today is the 21st anniversary of the NHL handing down one of its longest suspensions, which was the result of one of the most shocking events in hockey and Islanders history. Pierre Turgeon scores to seal a win over the Capitals and is blindsided by the villain Dale Hunter. Hunter sat for 20 games the next year, the Islanders ninja'd the Penguins in the next round, but nothing diminishes what went down on April 29, 1993. Here's a selection of news clips from that day, posted by YouTube user Isles9293.
- Islanders, Playoff Bits: Reinhart's progress; Game 7 time Wednesday; GM shuffles
- New TMZ tape reveals Donald Sterling does not know L.A. hockey team plays in Staples Center
- New York Islanders Sign Loic Leduc; Ville Pokka Next from 2012 Draft?
- Islanders Notes: Canadiens figure out Thomas Vanek; Reinhart ready for playoffs
- Saturday Bits: Jesse, Jesse; Capitals regime change; Playoffs all day, all night