Well, that was fun. But there's no time for celebrating shutouts or milestones. The Islanders are back at it tonight in New Jersey, where the Devils - better sit down - lost in ANOTHER shootout on Thursday night.
Put your FIG picks for tonight down here.
- Recaps: LHH | New$day | Islanders | Eyes on the Prize
- Johan Sundstrom was on the receiving end of a dumb hit by Montreal's Douglas Murray. Sundstrom was take to hospital in Montreal to be further evaluated.
- Brett Gallant is 2-0 in fights in his first two NHL games and against a pair of tough customers, too -Matt (Edit: not Zack) Kassian and George Parros. His trip to the NHL has been a long and arduous one, as reported by Michael Fornabaio.
- Sound Tigers forward Scooter Vaughan signed a contract for next season with the club.
- And if you're not already following Fornabaio on Twitter at @fornabaioctp, you should be. He's the No. 1 source for Sound Tigers info and does a great job at a pretty thankless gig.
- For The Times, a chance to notice the little people.
- Secret Islanders fan Down Goes Brown gives out some fake regular season hardware to the team, including "Least Entertaining Train Wreck" and "Worst Trade." Trust me, it's not what you think.
- Last night's NHL scores.
- Former Hartford Whaler Brendan Shanahan apparently is taking that big shot job with the Maple Leafs [The Star]. I'm sure this will end well, especially with Dave Nonis remaining the GM [Sportsnet].
- Will Shanahan be around to suspend Mike Rupp for this stupid hit on T.J. Oshie? [SB Nation]
- Another group of players has brought a concussion lawsuit against the NHL [Puck Daddy]. The filing contained a few minor factual errors such as the death of Gordie Howe, who is not actually dead. [The Sporting News]
- Players who consistently score 30 goals a season are more rare than you think. [The Sporting News]
- Metrics for hitting and shot-blocking, courtesy of Eyes on the The Prize.
- Are the Senators really going to fire Paul MacLean? Even if they have to pay him for the rest of his contract? [Travis Yost at Hockey Buzz]
- Terry Pagula: lots of dough, not a lot of hockey smarts. [The Buffalo News]
- No, seriously, what happened to David Clarkson this year? Different team, different style, less garbage to clean up. [mc79hockey]
- Frozen Four: It's Union versus Minnesota for the championship following a pair of really exciting games I plan to watch at some point in the next few days.
- New York Islanders 2, Montreal Canadiens 0: Evgeni Nabokov collects 59th shutout
- Video: Douglas Murray hits Johan Sundstrom out of the game, because he's Douglas Murray
- New York Islanders vs. Montreal Canadiens: Road to nowhere
- [Gameday Bits] Settle down. There's no need to Vanek.
- 2014 NHL Draft Rankings and Your New York Islanders