The Islanders are in Carolina for a zero-stakes encounter with the Hurricanes tonight, which reminds me we're also doing a story about off-track betting in the Himalayas. Smaller story, but I know you've been following it.
Like Columbus before Sunday, the Canes haven't lost to the Isles and can sweep the series tonight. A Pyrrhic thing, that.
Kyle Okposo is still nursing an undisclosed injury (missed practice, but expected to play again), Lubomir Visnovsky is out for the foreseeable future with what is feared to be the dreaded concussion symptoms, but ... Evgeni Nabokov still wants to be in the fold next season. [Newsday]
- Prospect playoff update: Adam Pelech, Ryan Pulock and Griffin Reinhart all lead their series' 2-0.
- I mean, say what you will about the Isles goalies (I've said plenty), this Anders Nilsson top-shelfer on Evgeni Nabokov is pretty cool. [Isles via Instagram]
Bridgeport notes via Michael Fornabaio, as there is a gap in the schedule and Bridgeport's barn will be in use for the NCAA regionals.
- There are still some NCAA free agents in play, but one of them taken off the table (by San Jose), Bowling Green captain and forward Ryan Carpenter, was evidently weighing the Isles, according to Elliotte Friedman.
- Also in that Friedman 30 Thoughts post, talk of if Eric Staal or Jeff Skinner will be on the trade market. Evidently Carolina needs to shed salary. Low-revenue teams and the endless cycle.
- Oh, and Jim Rutherford will reportedly step down as GM this summer. [Puck Daddy]
- I have to say, 20 years ago I'd never imagine reading nor echoing Paul Stewart. But if he's dissing the absurdity with dirty diver James Neal? Sign me up. (Also: "Give me an honest, genuine tough guy any day of the week over a Kenny "the Rat" Linseman or an Avery.")
- Are you sitting down? Yikes: QMJHL player has finger ripped off by puck, reattached | Sporting News
- Clarkson stunned Minnesota for the women's NCAA title, and Clarkson showed some swagger in beating the nearly unbeatable Gophers.
- Sure David Clarkson isn't what the Leafs signed him to be, but is he really this bad? [mc79hockey]
- You know how bad that 6-0 home loss to Minnesota stunk? As usual, you can look to the Oilers for a moment of "at least it's not that bad!" Jersey tossed on the ice, hurled back, everything. [Copper & Blue]
- Weird sidebar from the idiots attacking James Reimer's wife on social media: Man, reporters really shouldn't do this, and editors should really make sure their reporters have a basic understanding of social media. Like, especially if they plan to use it or report on it. (Then again: Well, #StarsgonnaStar.) [PPP]
- In more on-ice matters (but also Reimer), his recent struggles aren't that unusual for even good goalies, statistically speaking. [PPP]
First Islanders Goal picks, get your FIG picks for tonight right here.