Lee elbowed Carl Gunnarsson's jaw Saturday afternoon, although -- and this isn't just homer talk here -- it was the rare case where you could argue (as I did) it was an inadvertent elbow as Lee reached to the glass to brace himself. There was no penalty call on the play (though that game was horribly officiated overall) and initially no discipline hearing.
Then they changed their mind, er, "miscommunicated."
Also for #Isles with reversal on Lee hearing -- they're in the air. Probably would've liked to know if they'll lose a guy before they left.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) December 8, 2014
UPDATE: Lee has been fined $2,286, which will come out of his allowance.
More Islanders Reads
- The video and gif of the hit. [LHH] Puck Daddy on why the delay in calling Lee for a hearing.
- Newsday's Arthur Staple is on the road covering the team. We grabbed some of his Twitter answers yesterday. Here is his story on who's in and who's out, plus Ryan Strome as jack-of-all-trades, including the fourth line.
- UPDATE: Casey Cizikas goes to IR; Lubomir Visnovsky expected to come off.
- At the other end of the ice, Niklas Backstrom will start for the Wild, Charlie Coyle might be sick, and Ryan "I'm a clean guy" Suter will return from the mumps. [Star Trib] (Also, from earlier: Vanek's struggles)
- Pennst92's weekly 30 Isles Thoughts. [LHH]
- There was a time when we followed Isles prospects to dream about them making the team good again. Now we follow them and dream of them keeping the team good. Michael Dal Colle, he's dat guy. [Buzzing the Net]
- Speaking of which, the prospect report includes Robbie Russo's five-point weekend. [Isles]
- Mike Bossy is enjoying the final season at the Coliseum, and how much the good team and loud crowd is bringing back memories. [CBS NY]
- Heads up for this Isles blog, by a Twitter friend of LHH. [Altar of Bossy]
- Bridgeport has recalled Peter Sivak from Stockton. [Soundin' Off]
Around the NHL
- The Senators fired Paul MacLean, named Dave Cameron as his replacement. [SB Nation]
- Evander Kane was suspended two games for a hit from behind on Clayton Stoner. [TSN]
- Bob McKenzie's update from the NHL governors' meeting includes Vegas expansion notes, as well as a reminder of how bizarre and rushed the Anaheim/Florida expansion announcement was (WHICH HAPPENED UNDER GIL "I'M A HALL OF FAME COMMISSIONER" STEIN, BUT GO AHEAD AND KEEP BLAMING BETTMAN BECAUSE WHY FACTS?).
- The NHL said it's okay if Bill Foley does a Vegas season ticket drive to "test" the market. [CP]
- But I mean can it work? [ESPN] (Can we even know? Can Canadian media handle it?)
- Great New Yorker feature on P.K. Subban.
- Drew Remenda, weirdly let go as Sharks color man and now doing Oilers games, reflects on the change. [Mercury News]
- Meanwhile, the Sharks are rapping to "Holiday Sweater." [Fear the Fin]
- I bet you'd like to have TJ Oshie and Jonathan Quick for breakfast. [Kukla's]
- Grumpy Cat out-earns 26 NHL franchises, Sportsnet is happy to point out.
- "The Evolution of Mario Lemieux" makes no mention of him crying about cheap shots and then hiring Steve Downie. [Post-Gazette]
- The SI media critic column with some guest commentary on misogyny in hockey media. [SI]